What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. Flava, weird pitchers

schloaty

Staff member
My S. Flava has started to produce pitchers that are all bent and wiggly. Are these fall pitchers? Or is this stress related (I had to re-locate the plant from the deck to an in-doors location. Condo association was powerwashing and staining the decks). Also, one of these new weird pitchers seems like it's full grown, but hasn't openned up completely....It's just been sitting there looking half-openned for several days....
confused.gif
confused.gif

hmmmm.....it sounds like maybe the whole plant may be exhausted...but it could be fall pitchers but mine hasn't gotten it;s fall pitchers so that may not be it.....you better just hope that it's not a disease or an infestation of pests.I am not an expert at this stuff but these are some possiblilities for the odd shapes and unopend holes of the pitchers

It's the phyllodia of Flava. I have a few already. Don't stress out, it's normal, just a sign the plant is now displaying it's sign of "Hey, it's colder and not light as much as it used to be. Must be time to sleep soon." So it's pither will soon start to degrade and all the energy it has gained form the insects over the summer will be stored in the rhizome.

Before I could give you an informed opinion, my key question would be how much light is the plant getting in its new location. Whenever foliage is off-color or misformed, along with temperature and humidity, one of the most critical factors would be strength of light (lumens) and duration (photoperiod). From my experience Sarracenia grow best with full sunlight.

I got severely deformed pitcher on my leuco. That was due to older leaves blocking new leaves, preventing them from growing up right.

It sounds like it could be aphids to me. They will suck the sap of developing pitchers and make them grow deformed. Have a look for any tiny green or brown creatures and spray with an insecticide.

The fall leaves look like flat iris leaves and look significantly different from the pitchers. They have no opening and come to a point.

How long has it been indoors? If it wasn't getting enough light, the pitchers would probably be pale and flop over.

Hi.

Sounds to me that they don't have enough water to expand the pitchers. try to keep an inch of water in the tray or something?
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif

Spectabilis73

Hi,
I think what Larry meant was the top of the emerging pitchers got caught up in the older growth and this happens to my plants sometimes. What you get is a warped pitcher when it is prevented from going straight up. I think with Schloaty's flava, this time of year is phyllodia production time and essentially phyllodia are aborted pitchers.

Thanks guys, that makes sense. I was pretty sure it wasn't the light or the water.

Back