What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph. temps

I'm a liitle confused about the temps you are supposed to grow cephalotus at. Some people say that they grow theirs at 80F, and some people say they grow theirs at 70F and never let them get above 78F or lower that 55- 65F.

Could someone please tell me the best or ideal temperatures in which to grow a cephalotus in.
Thanks,
John

Hi,
During the summer, my ceph can get about 75-85 degrees. I personally would like it to be lower, but it was still growing very fast (for a ceph) and produced multiple offshoots. I also give mine a dormancy(55-35 degrees), I have heard it helps them grow much stronger, but other people may say the opposite. I think it may be able to handle the higher temps if it is more humid around the plant.

Cole

During the day I keep my cephs at around 70-80 degrees F in the winter, and 80-85F in the summer. Night temperatures are always around 50-65F year-round.

Cephs can take a wide variety of temperatures and still grow.
The difficulty is finding the right mix of temp, humidity and light levels. Once you find one that works for you - stick with it until your ceph is growing well and has a good root system before experimenting.
What works for me here in the UK - 70F during day all year, 50F at night, 80% humidity, 40-50% shade. Obviously with the shade it varies according to where in the world you are and varies with day length.
If in a terrarium I use 2x40watt flourescents at a distance of about 10inches for 10-12 hours in winter 14 - 16 hours in summer.
What they don't like is low light combined with temps below 40F and wet compost combined with no air movement.
Cephs show when they are happy by growing quite quickly!

Good luck
Jonathan
www.cephalotus.info

Back