What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yeeeehaaaa!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (lithopsman @ June 10 2003,10:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mine arrived yesterday, too! I got AL001 and AL003, they look identical to the pics already shown, so no reason to post more... *phew, no reason to tell people that I don't-* LALALALALA, you didn't hear that!  
tounge.gif

wow.gif

rolleyes.gif
 Anyways, congrats to all, wish me luck!  
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
wow.gif
You wouldn;t, perhaps, have a pic, would you?
tounge.gif
wow.gif

After looking through this thread, I'm starting to get nervous.  It looks like I'm the only one so far to get AL002.  Now I'll really feel bad if it bites the dust
sad.gif
.  My luck I'll kill them with kindness.  I have both plants in bright indirect light with plastic bags over them to keep the humidity up.  My usuall procedure is pot 'em up and stick 'em out with the rest of the plants.  No bags and direct sun from the get go.

BCK, you sound like an overprotective parrent at the karate school....

oh, you're not going to hit my son, are you?

Lady, this is a contact sport.
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Seriously, though, you are no where near the list of people who would make ME nervous with such a task....

I got mine yesterday too. Sites #002 and #003. Gorgeous plants. Can't wait for them to get full grown in a few years.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ June 10 2003,12:4
alien.gif
</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BCK, you sound like an overprotective parrent at the karate school....[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
*chuckle* Yea, I guess I do
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
.  I guess it had to happen eventually
smile.gif
.  I'd better not let my daughter find out I baby the plants more than her.  She'd really rub that in.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ June 10 2003,12:4
alien.gif
</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">oh, you're not going to hit my son, are you?

Lady, this is a contact sport.
wink.gif

tounge.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You have to wonder what they are thinking.  Remember Jeff Foxworthy's "here's your sign!" jokes?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sarracenia @ June 10 2003, 2:O2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I got mine yesterday too.   Sites  #002 and #003.  Gorgeous plants.  Can't wait for them to get full grown in a few years.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Congratulations sarracenia.  Good luck with your new plants.

alien.gif

I got my ICPS listserv messages today. All of the S. alabamensis have been shipped.

Ok, everyone, now I'm posting in the right spot
smile.gif

I, too, rec'd two plants today. I got 001 and 003. I'm colorblind so I couldn't say for sure if one is more red than the other
smile.gif
They do look beautiful though! I'm really amazed. Hopefully I can get some pictures this weekend when I shoot my neps too for another thread.
So much to be excited about! YAYAYAYAY!
HOLDEN

Congatulations FinnishKid
biggrin.gif
! I look foreward to seeing your pics
smile.gif
!

My 2 and 3 are definitely redder than the 1 pictures posted.  They are looking a bit sad, though.  The pitchers are pretty dried up on the 3.  
sad.gif

I'll try to get some good pics of them (from an angle that doesn't show the dead pitchers), and post them on the NECPS site sometime soon.

Pretty robust "seedling"... not quite what i expected!  Barry & Co. did some great work.

Hey Folks,

I'm not a regular reader of petflytrap, but signed on to see how things are going on it. There's a lot of great discussions!

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that everyone is getting their Sarracenia alabamensis in the mail, as part of the ICPS conservation program. It was a real effort on the part of many people to get that to work. As it turns out, we had almost exactly the correct number of plants, so I could send plants to everyone who requested them!

(A little behind the scenes information, 104 AL001, 102 AL002, and 110 AL003 plants were sent out. It took me two hours in the post office alone to have all the postages figured out!)

Will the ICPS do this again? Maybe. It was A LOT of work. If we see a lot of seed in the seed banks in the next few years with tag information like AL002 x AL002, or AL001 x AL003, then the plan would definitely have been a success. And maybe we'd do it again.

It would really be great to figure out a way to do this internationally, but CITES regulations really complicate things. I think that next time (if there is a next time), IF we could do things internationally, it might be best to give the non-USA members of the ICPS first pick (if we have greater demand than we have plants).

In any event, enjoy your plants---I'm glad the ICPS was successful in completing this plan. Now it is your job to prove to us that the effort was worth it!

Cheers

Barry

ICPS Director of Conservation

Hey Folks,

Oh, a few more comments on the Sarracenia alabamensis we shipped. I'm hearing from some folks that the pitchers were a little crisped. Remember that we did NOT clean these plants up in any way before we sent them. So you might be seeing dead pitchers on the plant from last season. All that's important is that you baby the plants so the rhizome is still alive. I've shipped a lot of Sarracenia in my day and I'm pretty confident that nearly all those plants will live.

Second, don't read too much into the size of the plants. In the wild, the plants are rather similar in size. It is a big mystery how the AL001, AL002, and AL003 plants will be in cultivation. And of course, since everyone got a different seedling, some plants may be more vigorous than others.

I'll tell you, though, having had the honor of visiting AL001, AL002, and AL003 (as well as several other sites) that these plants are BEAUTIFUL in the wild. Try to have unrealistic expectations for these plants---you'll find that even those are exceeded!

As a final note: we did manage to send off nearly all the AL001, AL002, AL003 plants. So if you missed out on this program, look for seeds in the seedbank, or divisions from your friends. We do not have any more!

Cheers

Barry

Awww.. I missed it.. I had the form filled out and all ready to mail and someone (I won't name names
mad.gif
Grrrr) stuck it in a file cabinet somewhere..
confused.gif
I just found it.. shoot..

Well anyway..
Congrats to all you guys who got them! And be sure to post plenty of pictures of them as they grow!
smile.gif

Awww...I've got to scrape up the money to join. Sounds like I missed a great opportunity. But I'm happy for all you folks that got plants. Sounds like an awsome program to keep the plants going.
smile.gif

Good luck with them all! Post pics from time to time!

Suzanne

Thanks Barry for mentioning that the crispy ones are from last year. I was looking at mine yesterday wondering about that. I was afraid that perhaps it had suffered in the mail.

Unless anyone thinks it unwise, I'm going to trim off the dead pitchers this weekend so I can watch for more new shoots. I have at least three live pitchers on each one... I'm going to keep a close watch on them!

wow.gif
3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FinnishKid @ June 18 2003,6
wow.gif
3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks Barry for mentioning that the crispy ones are from last year. I was looking at mine yesterday wondering about that. I was afraid that perhaps it had suffered in the mail.

Unless anyone thinks it unwise, I'm going to trim off the dead pitchers this weekend so I can watch for more new shoots. I have at least three live pitchers on each one... I'm going to keep a close watch on them![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hey FinnishKid,

Take a look at the dead pitchers. If the pitchers are crispy and extremely brown (i.e. dead leaf in a leaf-pile brown), then they are from last year. If something happened to the plants in shipping they would look different. Frozen or overheated plants have leaves that look like lettuce you stored in the freezer overnight then left on the counter to defrost (not a pretty sight). Plants that are suffering from extreme dehydration (either from shipping or from being transplanted into a new habitat that is much drier and hotter) are crispy dry, but the dead and dried leaves are still green because they were "flash-dried".

In a nutshell, leaves that are brown and dead are from last year. Green but dead would be from shipping shock.

If a lot of your plants' pitchers die back after shipping, your growing conditions may be a little drier. Unless you are losing all your pitchers this way, worry not. New pitchers will probably come out that are adjusted to the new growing conditions.

And finally, if any of the plants die, don't get too bummed. As long as ya'll maintain a good community spirit, and send plants around, the plants as a whole will have a good chance in cultivation.

Cheers

Barry

Thanks Barry for giving us some insight, you can't beat the real thing!
smile.gif
I absolutely LOVE the plants, they are so vigorous and healthy, mine have between 4 and 9 live, growing pitchers, and only had about 4 OLD pitchers per plant. THANKS FOR ALL THE HARD WORK!!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Thanks Barry,
It looks like I might have a little of both. Old ones from last year and a few unhappy new ones. I'm going to leave the whole thing alone and just let them grow. There are at least 3 or 4 new small bright green pitchers on each one, so I think they'll do ok.
Thanks again! It's a very exciting project!
smile.gif

Guys those are some really well taken cared of plants....very nice.
biggrin.gif

I don't see any significant color difference beteween my 001 and 003 yet.  Each is very yellow, with prominent red veining.  But each just opened it's first post-potting pitcher, with more following, so differences should become more apparent.  The difference I see so far (ignoring size) is that the 003 is pubescent.  Barry's site descriptions didn't mention those from area 003 being pubescent, so I'm curious to see if larger pitchers on the 003 will be too.  I want to add my thanks to Barry for the work  he put into this and I hope I can make my small contribution when these mature.

Back