What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yeeeehaaaa!

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
Had to tell you guys ('cuase they're just more plants to my wife
wink.gif
smile.gif
)
Just got 2 S. alabamensis from the ICPS.   I am soooo tickled right now.  I'd forgot all about requesting them!  Wish me luck growing and propegating them you guys.  Of all the plants I have, these are the most important to keep alive.  The others are replaceable.  These may not be, and I don't want to screw up this opportunity that has been given me.  I received one plant from location AL002 and one from AL003.

Yeeehaa. OUCHH! *BCK throws back out doing backflips and summersaults*

Hey! Be careful! How are you going to care for your new babies with a busted up back? You may have to send them to me....
wink.gif

Seriously, though, congrats! Keep us informed on their progress...and don't forget pics! (yeah....this coming from a guy who doesn't even own a digital camera&#33
wink.gif

That is great news. Now I am wondering if I got picked for the plants as well. Guess I will find out soon.

How big are your plants? I know they are seedlings and possibly different sizes. Did you get plants from the same locations or different locations?

Thanks,

Nick

I just got home and these plants are beautiful! My wife called and said there was a package on the front porch for me soon after I posted my first reply. I couldn't wait to get home. I opened the box and was totally blown away by the beauty of the first plant. The second plant is equally beautiful. My wife looked at me and said "it looks yellow, is it suppose to be that way?" I will be taking pictures later tonight.
tounge.gif

The plants that are in my care are Sarracenia alabamensis - AL001 and Sarracenia alabamensis - AL003.

As I finish this post I have tears in my eyes to know that these plants depend on us even as our society has helped cause there destruction.

Woohoo,

I just got home and found AL001 and AL003 waiting for me! Talk about making my day. Now I just can't wait to flood the seed bank with seeds.

[Edited 6/18/2003 4:29 PM EST By NickHubbell]
Ok, here are some photos of the plants that have been placed in my care.

Sarracenia alabamensis - AL001 :

S_alabamenisAL001Plant.jpg

S_alabamensisAL001.jpg

The tallest pitcher is 6 1/2" tall.

Sarracenia alabamensis - AL003 :

S_alabamensisAL003.jpg

S_alabamensisAL003Pitcher.jpg

S_alabamensisAL003Plant.jpg

The tallest pitcher is 3 1/2" tall.

S_alabamensisAL001AL003.jpg

Sarracenia alabamensis - AL001 (left) and Sarracenia alabamensis - AL003 (right)

WOW, thats so amazing!!! CONGRATS! I'm sure you'll take great care of them, nick
smile.gif

Here's my new babies.  AL003 certainly has a decent amount more red in them than AL001.  How does AL002 compare?
alabamensis.jpg

[Edited 6/18/2003 4:34 PM EST By NickHubbell]

Teraphage: Your plants look great. I am worred about the S. alabamensis ? AL003 as the roots were a bit dry and the lids were a bit dried out when I got them. I think they will be ok, but it got a bit beatup in shipment.

I know the feeling as mine were waiting on the door step too. It's like Christmas~! I got AL001 and AL003. Mine look a bit josseled, they were not packed tight enough but in good shape nonetheless. I was hoping for oreophila but, I am very happy. Mine will go in a bog outside. I'll keep you guys posted.

Wow guys.  They look great!  Teraphage, from the pics you & Nick posted, I also noticed, as you mentioned, that AL001 wasn't as red as AL002 and AL003.

Here's my AL002.  It's about 3" tall.
AL002.jpg

And this is my AL003 wieghing in at 2" in height
biggrin.gif
AL003.jpg

I can't see any difference yet between AL002 and AL003.

Anybody else have pics of theirs to post here?

I'm no pitcher fan, but bck's pitcher and allthe other memebers in the thread looks gorgeous!
biggrin.gif

In order to get two of these plants, one had to submit a plant request form as well as a check for $7 a couple months back. Those that sent in a request had their names drawn in a kind of lottery to see who would get to care for the plants.

At this point, no one know if they have any plants left at all for distribution. It is also possible that if there are extras, they will not be distributed under the same program.

Great pictures everyone. Mine arrived yesterday as well and look great. Christmas in June!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

nice, I hope some where sent to Europe (Mike King)...

Unfortunately, due to the CITES status of these pitchers, the ICPS wasn't able to distribute outside the U.S. from what I read.  Kind of a bummer; seems there should be some way to legally send seed or tissue culture endangered plants overseas, cause otherwise it just leads to more shady dealings.  I hope no one that sent in their money got shut out of getting plants  
wow.gif

If you so some research on these plants, you will find a few plants in the UK that sell S. rubra subsp. alabamensis. I found at least one site that appears to sell them.

I know where to get them, I got all the 3 rarest, but I think
Mike King should get some plants with name location since he the one that propagation then by the 100ths here in Europe and will proubly help the ICPS Conservation Projects... just my 5 cents ( is that how you say it
tounge.gif
, need to follow more in English classes, lol)
regards Bjørn

Mine arrived yesterday, too! I got AL001 and AL003, they look identical to the pics already shown, so no reason to post more... *phew, no reason to tell people that I don't-* LALALALALA, you didn't hear that!
tounge.gif
wow.gif
rolleyes.gif
Anyways, congrats to all, wish me luck!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Back