Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bog question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just set up a bog in an undrained container. The soil varies from about 6" to about 8" deep where the sarras are. My other bog is larger, made out of two large parts, the smaller inside the larger with a pipe filled for water flow. The outer one is a pond and the inner one has the plants in it. Under the soil there are distilled water containers to take up space that would otherwise be used by soil. So the soil is about 6" deep and 1' in the spaces between distilled water containers. All the sarras are thriving and we can control the moisture in the soil.
    Rubrarubra

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like a great setup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a small bog for my nephew several years ago. I used a large ruber-maid type container. It is now cracking due to age. I placed about 12 inches of pure river sand in the bottom and then put in about 12 more inches of 2 parts peat and 1 part river sand. I drilled some small holes about soil level to take care of any excess water. This is the same type set-up that I used on my bog, except mine is deeper and is about 8-9 feet square. I did not put any intentional drain holes in my bog and I have not had any problems. The base of river sand works as a aquifer to hold the water.
    Marjorie

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the interesting suggestions. I just need something that wont be so deep (and heavy) I can't move it. It will have to go on my deck which only gets a lot of sun in certain places. If it weren't for that, I could go for something larger.

Spring is rapidly approaching and I will be able to start playing with the outdoor plants again. Now I will have to deal with the squirrel issue again. They were awfully punishing to my plants last year. They just can't keep their grubby paws out of the pots!

suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually in the same situation, what I am doing is going to my garden centre when it warms up and getting one of those patio planters that is on little wheels. I need to be able to move mine too. I'm in an appartment at present and reallt don't know for how long. I have worked out how to insulate a mobile bog in the winter, so that won't be a problem. I'm not doing mine for at least another month though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12