What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OH my GOD!

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
I've found that my S. purpurea is not ''S. purpurea'' at all, it's{suprise, suprise!}S. pupureas! In other words: THERE ARE TWO S. PURPUREAS IN THE POT! WOWEE!!! I noticed that when I got curious of why half of the plant's number of pitchers were an inch away from the other half, so I pushed some of the soil down that was hiding the base and ''LOOK DOWN THERE!'' I noticed that, no, my plant does not just have a very wide base like I thought, half the plant was actually was another seperate plant the same size! Apparently, whoever supplied the plant to the Lowe's I got it from(no, not the one I tried to order from, it was a different one that already had the plant)planted TWO plants in the pot instead of ONE.
wow.gif

But there is one problemo... I think that the one on the right, which has no fully formed pitchers yet, only new ones, since it is young, is a different species of purpurea. I'm pretty sure since both new pitchers on it look nothing like the new pitchers on the much larger plant next to it, yet two of the new pitchers, one on the little plant and one on the big one, are the same size and the same age but look completely different! Well, I guess I'll just have to wait until the pitchers on the different one are fully formed to find out for sure.

*sigh* I hate waiting for things when I feel like waiting for them one more second will make my brain implode.

I have had purpera pitchers grown in different environments turn out looking totally different...

can you provide us with a picture?

young purpurea pitchers look completely different (all hooded) until about their third year.
Peter

most sarra seedlings have this small hood over the pitcher till they get older i think.

Even if it is another purpurea you will prbly want to end up removing it. My outdoor bog garden purps are very annoying. Most have two crowns and some have three. You would think I would end up with a full plant but most of the time the developing pitchers distort themselves. Wicked annoying!
mad.gif

Back