On 2/2/2003 I took a leaf cutting from one of my S. purpurea. I used a leaf that was older and about 1/2 dead. I pulled the leaf off so that the white part of the leaf that connects it to the rhisome was included. The top portion that was dead was cut off and discarded. I dipped the leaf cutting into rooting hormone and planted it in live sphagnum moss. The pot was then placed into a bag and kept between 65-80°F on average. There were times it dropped below 60°F. Lighting was provided by 6 flourescent tubes.
I checked the cutting today (4/20/2003 ) and noticed two small roots about 1mm long on the base of the cutting. I am very happy with this success.
Cutting in live sphagnum moss.
Roots can be seen growing out from the base of the cutting. The roots are slightly damaged from the cutting being pulled from the sphagnum moss.
Another view of the roots.