What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf Cuttins...

How does this work with a sarracenia purpurea? Use one of the smaller thin leaves, but a big small one... dip it in root stimulant/fungicide, and put it in an inflated peat pellet, in a dome? Has anyone done this? With success? Should I?

no, you should not.

Sarracenia reproduce by Rhiozome division, and flowering. Taking a leaf cutting will result in the death of the leaf. Sorry!

Actually, it could work. A couple of years ago I had a sarracenia that I accidentally broke a pitcher off. It had the tinest bit of rhizome still attached, about the size of a pin-head, and no roots. I stuck it in the soil for the heck of it and it lived. I wouldn't recommend doing it that way though. I think I just got lucky.

I did it last night anyways... It was a big baby leaf, that was not pitcherish yet... There are tonnes of baby leaves, and i got it down to were it attached, so wutever... If it works, great, if not, oh well! Heh... Is there anyway to promote the growth of a flower? I think that would be even more exiting!

Parasuco,

Only time will bring you a flower. If you are lucky it takes 3-5 years from seed to flower. Odds are that your plant was propogated via TC and TC plants tend to mature faster so you might, maybe, possibly get one next year.

Pyro

Oh, i mean on my mature pitcher plant. At least i think its mature. its not huge, but is is all pitcherplantish... I mean, red veins, dying traps that are big, dead baby gnats everywhere, etc... So, if it is mature, do u still think next year?

Maybe. I wish I could give you a more concrete answer but it is all up to the plant so... After being transplanted it might 'decide' to devote energy into new growth and abort any flowers. Or it might like its new home and go for a bloom. Just hope for the best and treat your plant right, if it doesn't bloom this year don't get discuraged.

yes it does work, but you need a bit of rhizome as well, only a sliver though. cut the leaf in half to reduce transpiration & put somewhere humid.

New plantlets emerge from the base of the leaf itself where the rhizome is, correct?  So has anybody tried just cutting a piece of the rhizome and planting that instead of removing a leaf?  Seems to me that would work.  I will have to try that
smile.gif

Larry,

Actually there is a technique called rhizome cutting where you remove the growing end of the rhizome and pot up sections of the remaining rhizome. I have never tried it so I can't offer any more pointers but I recall from Slack's books that you can cut a notch into the rhizome before dividing it and that will often promote dormant growth points to start.

Pyro

Oh yeah!  I read about rhizome cutting many times, somehow I didn't connect that to this.  I think that would be a better way to do it.  I'd hate to sacrifice a good pitcher leaf when all is needed is the rhizome.  In the book, it looks like they are cutting the underground rhizome.  I want to cut into the exposed part of the rhizome and of course spraying the wound with some fungicide.  That way I don't have to to dig it up.
smile.gif

That sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it turns out.

Back