What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher Plant Liquid. Where is it?

Last Sunday I purchased some Superthrive, a D. Spathulata, S. purpurea, and S. x Judith Hindle. Well they all arrived yesterday. Very healthy looking and beautiful, but the there is no liquid in the pitchers of either of my pitcher plants. I just wanted to know if the pitchers will fill up in a few days or if I should put some water or milk or something inside of them. Please help me!

Pour some rain or distilled water into the purpurea pitchers - they don't produce digestive juices and rely on bacteria in the water to break down the prey so that it can be absorbed.
The Judith Hindle will produce digestive enzymes once it has caught some insects, although you won't be able to see it - all you will be able to see is the dead insects. The plant will be digesting these insects for sure though!

Back