What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus Follicularis

Hi,
I have just bought a Heliamphora Follicularis for £6.99, has about 5 1inch traps, and about 20 (no joke) small 1cm ones. Is there any special requirements for these plants? And how shoukd I feed them and what to feed them? Thanks in advance.
-VaT-

Oooh,

where did you get it?
I've not seen them for sale in a non-virtual shop before

sorry, can't help you with the advice, except they grow them in the same place as the Sarracenias in the Botanic Gardens in Glasgow (UK), in pure spagnum moss

they just catch what they can as far as I know

H

Well I live in Hanpshire UK, and here there is a garden center which sells lots of things, well only just of now! They have about 10 Heliamphoras, but I took the biggest
tounge.gif

which Heliamphora do you mean ?

minor
heterodoxa
nutans
tatei
(neblinae)
ionasii
hispida
folliculata

There is no Heliamphora follicularis

You can buy almost every aviable Heliamphora species from Andreas Wistuba (www.wistuba.com), but the plants have mostly juvenile leaves.
He also has the newly described H. folliculata, but it is 100 € (~ 100 $)

Or do you mean Cephalotus follicularis, which can be bought in several shops (cultivation information at www.cephalotus.com)

Martin

I was about to say I don't think an H.Folliculata was in a Garden Center! I don't even think it is in cultivation that widely yet!

Well, cephs are really easy, even though alot of us failed once or more with them (as i have&#33
wink.gif
Just keep it in a very deep pot in a mix of peat/sand or better: peat/sand/perlite/lava rock. Water from the top on the soil like once every 5 days. Keep humid and under mild light. it can eat tiny ants.

I had one but it died
sad.gif
. Anyway also you might want to know if you put the plant in shade the traps will get larger but with no coloration. If you bring them into the sun, the traps get smaller and will get red. It is a pretty neat plant, though.

Is that true that they get bigger without a lot of sunlight? If so how much less light do I give to it?
Thank you!

Just place the plant in a shaded area. That's all.

Back