User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia x dixie lace

How large does this hybrid grow to be? I got one from little pot of horrors about a year ago, and just identified it after visiting Balboa Park in California this summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they get to be around a foot long, when full-grown.

OK, thanks [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] .

Prepare to be patient though. It's taken mine about 5 years to reach the 1' mark and finally flower. This plant just loves to divide. It seems like all it's energy is in dividing, rather than attaining size. Beautiful plant though.
    Imduff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

The plant is quite vigorous in producing pitchers. My plant was currently producing 7 inches pitchers (not anymore) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]. The pitchers can get deep crimson red while having "windows" when given full sun. (An amazing site). The plant has crimson flowers in the spring. It's an amazing fly catcher. Two members in this forum have part of the plant whom I traded with. They are Jaie and Pyro. Ask them about more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (eplants02 @ Oct. 07 2002,05:17)
    My plant was currently producing 7 inches pitchers (not anymore) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img].[/QUOTE]

Has anyone else noticed this with S. x 'Dixie Lace'? Last year my pitchers were quite big and robust - maybe 12 inches tall. This year, the plant seems to be making a larger clump of smaller pitchers that aren't as vigorous.

The only obvious change is that I repotted it while it was dormant - in late winter/early spring. It's in the same basic media, but in a slightly smaller pot (still plenty of room though).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its growing in a pot, it may have run out of room. Otherwise, I would guess that its putting more energy into overall pitcher production than it is into pitcher size. But yes, it is a very, very prolific hybrid. I was going to divide mine this past spring, but had such a hard time finding all the growth points amongst all the pitchers, with my miniscule patience, I gave up. I'm going to have to do it this next spring though, it's smothering the neighboring plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the thing makes clumps like crazy. You have to keep an eye on them, as pests like scale and aphids love to set up shop down in the clumps where you can't see them or get to them.

While we're on the subject, I think S. x 'Dixie Lace' gets my vote for the worst bug catcher of any Sarracenia in existence. I don't think I've ever seen one catch a bug - not even ants.

Still is pretty though....

9. Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast