What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a problem

G

Ok, my plants are dormant right now, with temps in the 70's, dryish soil, and very low light levels. They seem to be asleep, but my S. flava has a flower bud coming up. Isn't it too early for that
confused.gif
? Will it come out of dormancy? What do I do
sad.gif

are the plants in a terrarium?If they are, that happens sometimes, what you can do is lower the temps, and if you want a pretty flower or seed, let the flower stay, if you dont want it, get rid of it, i wouldnt worry about to much, in fact, my S. Flava has (i think) a flower coming up right now, hmmmmm, well good luck,
Kevin

Basically 70 f is far too warm, you will want temps in the 40s to ensure a proper dormancy

Man, it's iether 70's in the house, or 30 and well below outside. I had plants freeze last year in St. Louis, and I know they wouldn't survive outside here in Alaska.

Well, Anchorage is much milder than most of Alaska. That's why most Alaskans don't consider Anchorage part of Alaska! *laughter* Seriously though, I remember the news making a big deal of it every time the weather went below zero in Anchorage. Down on the peninsula it's a big deal when it's -50F not counting windchill. Maybe with some mulch or protection some of the hardier ones would do ok outside? Do you have a house or apartment/condo? I have friends in Anchorage who overwinter alot of plants on their condo balcony or porch. I think they cover them with something to protect them from the wind and such.. would this work guys?any other opinions?

A possibility is to cut off the pitchers (I know, I know! It hurts) and place the rhizome in a platic bag in the fridge in some damp moss. If it must stay at room temperature, put it in the coolest spot possible and restrict the photoperiod to under 12 hrs. of light. It is essential that the plants get no more light than this. A friend in Brazil grows Sarracenia, and the temps there rarely get much below 50F in the winter, his plants slow in growth but never go fully dormant, yet they survive, flower and offset well. I conclude from this that the photoperiod is a major determining factor. Personally, I would go with the former suggestion, but remember to sheck for fungus infection periodically. Both methods are a little hit and miss, but it's the best I can offer. Sarracenia just are not indoor plants.

Even with the best of insulation, it's always colder right by the windows. If you could manage to setup your Sarrs. right on a window ledge, that should provide the necessary conditions. It's what I do, and the plants seem to appreciate it. I keep them in "open air", but that wouldn't be a good idea for yours at this point. A large see-through bag will keep the humidity high. Keep just a little hole at the bottom for ventilation. A terrarium of any sorts is usually not a good idea beside the window for several reasons, one being that it can actually get really hot in there on sunny days.

Take care!

Chris

He he, I have too many Sarracenias and other dormant plants to fit into the windows. Oh well, if it looks like their waking up too soon, I guess I'll pop them into the frige or something. Thanks
smile.gif

Back