What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My s. purpurea needs more space!

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
Looks like my S. purpurea needs more space! I just noticed that a couple of it's roots are poking about an inch each out of the little drainage holes of the pot. I know that means it has to be put into a bigger pot... but I have a couple questions...
QUESTION #1: What is the best time of year to repot it?
QUESTION #2: Exactly what kind of soil mixture should I use?
QUESTION #3: What is the easiest and safest(for the plant) way to go about this whole process?

I would repot in spring as you wouldn't want to damage the rhizhome now and risk setting it back in growth when, if you did this in the spring if you did damage anything it would be no problme with warmer temps and more light that the plant will establish much faster and better. Might wanna use the soil the plant is in. Evidently, it likes it by showing you the roots at the pot bottom.
wink.gif
To repot in the srping just tip the pot unside down (let the pitcher spill, new ones will be on the way shortly anyways) tap the pot bottom and the plant should slide right out, then repot and your set.

Hi Flytrap gurl,
Good to see you back...

I have to disagree with Dustin on this one, but you would be to answer your questions one by one

1: repot in January while the plant is dormant. Right now, Sarras grow a fresh set of routes before they break leaf dormancy so disturbance will not halt new leaf growth. I have already started on mine

2: Use 3 parts canadian moss peat to 1 perite. Planting should be firm, but not 'rock hard'!

3: Gently tap the plant out of its original pot, don't worry too much about the roots coming thru the drainage holes but guide them thru trying to keep the soil intact. With the larger pot already part filled with the new soil in, you could 'pot on' if the soil is not too old in the old pot or you could remove the old soil carefully and place small hand fulls of compost firming as you go arounfd the plant roots. Keep the rhizome crown just above the soil level and then place the pot in a tray of say 1/3 inch of water then firm again 12 hours later.
Keep the plant joistr damp until signs of growth reappear and increase the watering in the normal way.

Good growing!

I agree with Mike King, but I would add another suggestion. When you repot the plant, look for which direction the plant is growing on the rhizome. Generally one end will be the old end with the oldest leaves and the other end is where the newest leaves are. When you repot, try to put the growing end near the middle (or at least as far from the side of the pot as possible). In this way, the rhizome can continue to grow before it bumps into the side of the pot. I have seen my plastic pots buldge and split by the pressure of the new growth.

BobZ

Back