What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pie Pan Trays

I just thought of this yesterday but I have a couple of plants sitting in pie pans for trays and I remembered reading in the nep forum that metal baskets would kill them (something about zinc I think). The sarrs seem to be doing ok, new pitchers coming up, but if there's any chance for ill effects then I'll replace the pie pans. Aww screw it - I'll just replace them. Guess I answered my own question.

*Dyflam thanks himself*

:cheesy:

If you have the cheap, flimsy ones, they are probably just aluminum. Whether or not aluminum would leach out I don't know. I wouldn't think so, but I'm no expert.

If I recall correctly from my days as a chemistry tutor, when aluminum oxidises (small highly charged metal ion) it result in a slightly acidic solution. If that is the case then they should be fine. I'll check up on it when I get home.

Last year I had some plants in metal trays. The pan began to rust, and the soil seemed to be showing mineral build up. I wouldn't advise using them.

Well, as luck would have it, they are indeed the cheap flimsy ones and I'm fairly certain they are aluminum. I will, however, replace them with plastic. Ever heard this one... "better to be safe than sorry"? Yeah baby, yeah.

Back