Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should i, or shouldn't i?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks much, Spectabilis!

I shall forge ahead.

And if they die - it's on your head. lol! I'm truly kidding, of course.

Thanks to everyone for helping out a newbie on this forum. You cats are the best!

I'll keep you posted to my transplanting...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello "Auntie Em"
    First off I enjoy your sense of humor! Now for Darlingtonia californica, you have to remember to have cool roots! As spectibilis pointed out, you can add ice cubes (distilled/pure) on the soil. You can also use a very light colored pot, I use white for mine. Use a 1:1:1 ratio of perlite/sand/peat. You can also use long fibered sphagnum moss too. They enjoy cool overhead watering, refridgerate your water (distilled or reverse osmosis, purified) if you live in a warm climate. Do not exceed temps. over 85*F! You basically "cook" your plants. During the winter you should have a 5 month dormancy period. You place them in colder a colder enviroment (a garage, basement) with a reduced photoperiod. It should have temps. of around 40*-50*F, and a 12 hour photoperiod of artificial light, or 5 hours of direct sunlight. In the summer/spring 16 hours of artificial light, and 7-8 hours of direct sunlight. If you want to feed your Cobra Lily, simply stick a bug into the opening of the pitcher were the bug will slowly crawl, or tumble to the bottom, were it dies a gruesome death [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] , if you have any more questions, about cobra lily's, e-mail me at NepenthesVillosa@aol.com hope it helps,
    Kevin

Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin:

Many thanks for more tips. Hey, I used to live in the Seattle area for many years. The U District, Wallingford, Northshore (Bothell - yikes&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img], Snohomish....even lived in Bremerton for a while. How I miss the great Pacific Northwest and its zone 7-8 environment. <sigh> There I go rambling again.

Update: I transplanted everyone early this morning. Yes, a few roots were ripped in the process, but I was very careful not to further masacre or mangle the strongest roots. Everyone is in a shady spot for a while and save for the Cobra Lilies, has been tray watered with distilled water.

I have some distilled icecubes cookin' in the freezer (thank goodness I remembered the recipe) along with a pitcher of distilled water in the refer. Honestly, is it all-ahead "go" to place some icecubes or pour very cold water over the medium despite the D. californicas very rough morning? In addition, since these plants haven't been watered in such a frigid manner due to them being with with others, should I introduce this process gradually? Or just go for it? Muwhahahaha.

Could I ask more silly questions?

Why yes. Yes, I could. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Why do men have nipples? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do men have nipples?[/QUOTE]

Aren't you married?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they would look silly without them.

"This Moment of Science will answer a question that must have been gnawing at you since you first noticed that human males have nipples. What genetic glitch left human males with female features?

Male nipples aren't exactly a genetic glitch: they are evidence of our developmental clock. In the early stages of life from conception until about 14 weeks, all human fetuses look the same, regardless of gender. At the tender age of 14 weeks post-fertilization , genetically-male fetuses begin to produce male hormones including testosterone. These hormones turn the androgynous fetus into a bouncing baby boy.

Here's where the developmental clock comes in. By 14 weeks, when the hormones turn on, the nipples have already formed. So, while our male fetus goes on to become a baby boy, he keeps his nipples, reminding all of us that people, male and female, started off the same way."

I would think your Carlingtonia is glad to have the cold water. Welcome to the forum. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops, typo [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typos can be fixed simply by clicking on the <edit> button on the post in question, and then fixing your own typos.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know if I read anywhere, but where do you currently live. If you live in Oregon/ n.California, you should be fine. If not, like spec and sarracenialuver said, it would not be advisable to grow out doors unless you can keep the roots cool somehow.

Cole
    Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

9. Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast