What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Admittedly, I'm very new to the CP world, be default. The proverbial friend handed down to me two gawd-awful plastic terrariums.

Mind you, I've always held a profound interest in CP's, yet never felt I held within my power (muwhahahaha) the ability to provide the specific environments, etc. As luck would have it, a friend of mine, stemming from the fear of killing these plants, gave them to me. As a sidenote, I had already stumbled across this forum and was learning about CP's before she delivered these plants to me a few weeks ago....but I digress.

I've been doing much reading. Much.

Yet, here's a query for ya'll:

The two, 3-1/2"/ square-shaped width with approximately two inches of growing medium (which also appears to be primarily peat with no sand or perilite) acrylic terrariums have assorted plantings (what appears to be three species per pot) with no drain holes. Egads! Heavens to Mirgatroy!

Get this: #1 has Darlingtonia californica, a VFT and a butterwort (don't ask, I'm still getting there - lol&#33
wink.gif

#2 also has a Darlingtonia californica, a sundew and some other member that appears to have suffered rot, no doubt. Species unknown.

Here's my query: Do I dare attempt to separate these plants?

Most of the plants, aside for the D. californica are not growing very well. I have many "fishtanks" available to me and have attempted to place these two, small terrariums in the fishtanks to not only provide some airflow for the C. californica (as I have a small fan blowing)..... yet, some assemblence of humitidy for the VFT's and the Sundew.

I feel as though I need to flog or pummle the human who places these plants together, or am I over-reacting? Or am I who deserves the pummeling?

Don't answer that.

The VFT is very small - color is a very good vibrant green, yet I can just sense the plant doesn't have the room to thrive (as it seems that the VFT's were placed smack-dab in the middle of the D. californicas). The sundew is small as well (perhaps an inch and half across), but the "necter" drops are blood red despite some lower leaves which are yellowing.
tounge.gif

Yes, I know, I know....yellowing.

The funnels on the D. californicas are drying up and not quite wilting, but are attempting to lay themselves down. The color is washed-out and the "beards" are dry. Yet, in my care over the last few weeks are showing signs of new funnels.

I am a gardener of many species, yet I also mostly believe in either killing a plant for the attempt of trying to save ONE or ALL...

Any advice? Or is this a too frightening and horrifying endeavor to even contimplate?

Many, many thanks, in advance for any insights or belly-chortling.

if 5 people have veiwed this at least one of em should'a said something .

ok for the D.cali you want to take it out put it in long fiber sphagnum , it needs a nice sized pot for undergrownd stolon thingys to grow aka (runners).

let it get nice and wet and put it outside no matter what the conditions but it realy does like it cold they are mountain plants afterall.

for the fly trap repot it but use canadian sphagnum peat and mix it with half pearlite , make sure on the bags of these things,
"in ingredents" it does not have anything added (fertalizers and weting agents ) <-- those can be bad for any plants that are cp's

sundews some people recomend sand but i use the peat/pearlite mix . works good for me . and if you do use sand be carefull of what is out there , you want to get (silica sand ) and after that you'll still need to rinse it out to make sure there is no minerals in it .

i let my outside vft's sit in trays of water (2 inches) they also get lots of sun. for the ones inside i let them become just wet but not sit in any water at all .

they don't need no dome or added humidity unless your in arizona .

sundews might need the dome thingy for humidaty .

D.cali needs to be outside dureing summer you should take it and set it in some shade . remember it will take a while for it to get aclimated, it wont die from being outside , it needs cold nights and hot days in the shade.

i almost forgot to add.
you should let the plants sit sokeing in water for a while before you repot them so all roots can become loose and slightly untangeled.

the reason i say outside plants can be sitting in water is the environment .

in otherwords

out side= wind/sun/ = can decrease humidity .but also increas it from evaporateing it . thewater does'nt offten get stagnant.
sun hits the plants the leaves need water they pull it up from roots that - hey are sitting in water .
smile.gif

inside = heat or cold vary , the water tends not to evaporate from lack of air flowand light intensity .

so water can sit and sit and end up rotting " lack of water movement" it get's yucky and smelly!!
smile.gif
(stagnant )

even in wild bogs notoreus of being smelly there is still some air movement and rain disturbs the water and aireates it like an air stone in an aquareum.

i'm not a no it all !!!!!
i get bored and over analize things!!!!!!!
plus this has been my experence.
good lick with yourplants

Thanks so much, Chomper. May I call you that?

I'm fairly good with the growing mediums and assorted requirements for the various plants for I'm a bit of an anal humanoid.

I'm just not certain IF I should attempt to rip these plants apart. What I AM certain of, is that the D. Californicas' are doing well for the moment, but it's a "grower's instinct" to know that they are not going to fair well in the next few weeks.

Same with the VFT's or the sundew. Again, there is another plant/bulb, which to me, is rotted, un-identified and this makes matters worse for me.

In all the plants that I care for - name it, I've got it, save for CP's and I just want to help these poor plants survive.

I will take your advice under consideration, that is, if I can separate them sucessfully.

And THAT is the question. Do I dare? Do I dare separate these unlikely plants which someone has grouped together?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chomperDaSk8rPunk @ April 19 2003,8:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok for the D.cali you want to take it out put it in long fiber sphagnum , it needs a nice sized pot for undergrownd stolon thingys to grow aka (runners).

let it get nice and wet and put it outside no matter what the conditions but it realy does like it cold they are mountain plants afterall.

for the fly trap repot it but use canadian sphagnum peat and mix it with half pearlite , make sure on the bags of these things,
"in ingredents" it does not have anything added (fertalizers and weting agents ) <-- those can be bad for any plants that are cp's

sundews some people recomend sand but i use the peat/pearlite mix . works good for me . and if you do use sand be carefull of what is out there , you want to get (silica sand ) and after that you'll still need to rinse it out to make sure there is no minerals in it .

i let my outside vft's sit in trays of water (2 inches) they also get lots of sun. for the ones inside i let them become just wet but not sit in any water at all .

they don't need  no dome or added humidity unless your in arizona .

sundews might need the dome thingy for humidaty .

D.cali needs to be outside  dureing summer you should take it and set it in some shade . remember it will take a while for it to get aclimated, it wont die from being outside , it needs cold nights and hot days in the shade.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
not pure long fibered sphagnum, there needs to be some peat and sand, and some perlite in the soil mix also. the pot does not need to be big, 6 inches should be fine for now.

water it with cool distilled water (preferably refridgerated). don't put it outside no matter what the conditions are. if there is a storm or if there is strong winds, take the plant inside! darlingtonia can be grown inside too. they don't need ot be "cold". "cool" is good enough.

for the flytrap, a 1/1/1 mix of peat/sand/ and perlite is best.

you can use any kind of sand for your drosera (sundews), except BEACH SAND or RIVER SAND. Beach sand has much too much salt in it for carnivorous plants. whatever sand you use, make sure you wash it out well. silica sand is best.

you don't need anything for humidity, as long as the humidity is over 60%, if it is under 60%, you might want to do something about it.

the cobra lily does not need to be outside in the summer. Do NOT let them be outside in very hot weather.(over 85ºF) if they are in temps of over 80 degrees, put some ice cubes on the soil.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Anti Em @ April 19 2003,8:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And THAT is the question.  Do I dare?  Do I dare separate these unlikely plants which someone has grouped together?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yes, lol, there is no problem with separating them.

Wow, this forum is prompt!

Spectabilis, I have the correct growing media, considering that I also grow various orchids. Humidity, air flow, coolness/warmness not a problem... Even though at first, I didn't think I had.

I assume then, that in the "transplanting" or if one dares, the "ripping apart" (very carefully, mind us) as you mention, no added stress to the plant. The basic transplanting "rule".

From there, I believe I'm fairly good for even a "newbie" as far as keeping these various plants to thriving. Thanks to this forum and its archives, no doubt.

Yet, here's another query: Via this forum, the plethora of links members have provided, et al., from what I have read (perhaps I should now take this up in the VFT board) VFT's don't like to be triffled with, yes?

Shall I just attempt to give it a try? Honestly, I care to save all the plants. The D. Californicas hold my heart, however. Inexplainable. They are awesome and breathtaking, despite their depleted capacity.

Oh, I'm not certain what I'm asking here. Just do I still dare to rip these plants apart. I DO know that most of them will die, regardless.

Yikes! I loathe this prediciment. I'm into succulents, or orchids, ferns and other various tropicals.

To have CP's thrust upon me is wonderful gift and yet, perplexing. At lest in this scenerio.

I care to research BEFORE I have plant(s) in my posession.

Goodness, I just feel (for the first time in my flora tenure) unsure and unstable about ripping these plants apart.

they will be fine, as long as you do it quickly! I transplant them all the time. I often also cut the "bulbs" of the sarracenia and divide them, or what you call, "ripping them apart".
biggrin.gif
Good luck, and welcome to the forums!
-Spec73

P.S.-- I have never had a carnivorous plant of mine die from splitting or transplanting them.
smile.gif

Thanks much, Spectabilis!

I shall forge ahead.

And if they die - it's on your head. lol! I'm truly kidding, of course.

Thanks to everyone for helping out a newbie on this forum. You cats are the best!

I'll keep you posted to my transplanting...

Hello "Auntie Em"
        First off I enjoy your sense of humor! Now for Darlingtonia californica, you have to remember to have cool roots! As spectibilis pointed out, you can add ice cubes (distilled/pure) on the soil. You can also use a very light colored pot, I use white for mine. Use a 1:1:1 ratio of perlite/sand/peat. You can also use long fibered sphagnum moss too. They enjoy cool overhead watering, refridgerate your water (distilled or reverse osmosis, purified) if you live in a warm climate. Do not exceed temps. over 85*F! You basically "cook" your plants. During the winter you should have a 5 month dormancy period. You place them in colder a colder enviroment (a garage, basement) with a reduced photoperiod. It should have temps. of around 40*-50*F, and a 12 hour photoperiod of artificial light, or 5 hours of direct sunlight. In the summer/spring 16 hours of artificial light, and 7-8 hours of direct sunlight. If you want to feed your Cobra Lily, simply stick a bug into the opening of the pitcher were the bug will slowly crawl, or tumble to the bottom, were it dies a gruesome death
wow.gif
, if you have any more questions, about cobra lily's, e-mail me at   NepenthesVillosa@aol.com   hope it helps,
                                     Kevin

Kevin:

Many thanks for more tips. Hey, I used to live in the Seattle area for many years. The U District, Wallingford, Northshore (Bothell - yikes&#33
wink.gif
, Snohomish....even lived in Bremerton for a while. How I miss the great Pacific Northwest and its zone 7-8 environment. <sigh> There I go rambling again.

Update: I transplanted everyone early this morning. Yes, a few roots were ripped in the process, but I was very careful not to further masacre or mangle the strongest roots. Everyone is in a shady spot for a while and save for the Cobra Lilies, has been tray watered with distilled water.

I have some distilled icecubes cookin' in the freezer (thank goodness I remembered the recipe) along with a pitcher of distilled water in the refer. Honestly, is it all-ahead "go" to place some icecubes or pour very cold water over the medium despite the D. californicas very rough morning? In addition, since these plants haven't been watered in such a frigid manner due to them being with with others, should I introduce this process gradually? Or just go for it? Muwhahahaha.

Could I ask more silly questions?

Why yes. Yes, I could.
biggrin.gif

Why do men have nipples?
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why do men have nipples?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Aren't you married?

Because they would look silly without them.

"This Moment of Science will answer a question that must have been gnawing at you since you first noticed that human males have nipples. What genetic glitch left human males with female features?

Male nipples aren't exactly a genetic glitch: they are evidence of our developmental clock. In the early stages of life from conception until about 14 weeks, all human fetuses look the same, regardless of gender. At the tender age of 14 weeks post-fertilization , genetically-male fetuses begin to produce male hormones including testosterone. These hormones turn the androgynous fetus into a bouncing baby boy.

Here's where the developmental clock comes in. By 14 weeks, when the hormones turn on, the nipples have already formed. So, while our male fetus goes on to become a baby boy, he keeps his nipples, reminding all of us that people, male and female, started off the same way."

I would think your Carlingtonia is glad to have the cold water. Welcome to the forum.
tounge.gif

Typos can be fixed simply by clicking on the <edit> button on the post in question, and then fixing your own typos.

I dont know if I read anywhere, but where do you currently live. If you live in Oregon/ n.California, you should be fine. If not, like spec and sarracenialuver said, it would not be advisable to grow out doors unless you can keep the roots cool somehow.

Cole

Colieo: I currently reside in a zone 4 environment with very hot and humid summers (Upstate NY) and wasn't planning on placing the lilies outside for the warm months - if at all. Since the winters are harsh as well, and I don't have much protection from many trees, either. Farmland, mostly.

Copper: Although you are very correct in your statements, I wasn't asking for the RIGHT answer, I was searching for the creative answer. lol! Wit = bonus points.
smile.gif

Tim: Since I haven't witnessed my husband using HIS nipples for anything extraordinarily unusual, I don't think I follow the correlation.
biggrin.gif

Ok, then I wouldnt worry about growing them outside. Find a cool, partialy sunny window, and they should do fine.

Cole

Update: All the transplanted beings have faired well.

I now have four (where I thought I only had two) VFT's growing quite well (two small, two now medium-sized) and the D. californicas are thriving with new, well-shaped and healthy pitchers emerging.

I believe this to be a success for my first shot-gun by trial introduction to CP's.

Needless to say, I'm addicted and am looking forward to obtaining more CP's in the near future.

Many thanks for everyone's help. I can't wait for the day that my life is overrun by "creepy", little swamp plants!

Thanks again.

Back