What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The almost great experiment

hello,
1 week ago I took a teaspoon of frozen/thawed bloodworms, and pout equal parts into 2 sarracneia purpurea, and into one nepenthes pitcher. Let's see what happens!

and the stupid question:
what would happen if I fed a sarracenia diluted chocholate milk? Told ya it was stupid!
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

i just checked on the purps, and one pitcher is really moldy, so i guess bloodworms aren't a good thing to feed sarracenia... this was a stupid topic anyways, so can a moderator or admin delete it? thanks
biggrin.gif

It's not a stupid topic. Thats a good test. Bloodworms always give me problems. Try the milk, 2% works wonders on my plants.

Something is definately happening. I stirred the moldy pupr trap with a toothpick, and now there's no mold. and, it doesn't smell! With the nepenthes, it's doing the best, it seems ot be doing alot better (it was sorta yellow when I fed it, but I doubt the blood worms had anything to do with it). Oh, and I fed a cut up blood worm to one of my pygmy sundews, it's exploded with growth! since this topic has to do with several different genus of cp, maybe this topic should be moved to General Discussions?
biggrin.gif

Spec, lets go ahead and leave it here for now.

I have used bloodworms before and was un-impressed in what they did for my plants compared to the cost... and by cost I mean what they did to the pitchers... the little buggers are sticky, and they are hard to make sure you get all of them into the solution at the bottom of the pitcher. Almost every nep I experimented with lost the pitcher.

I have had better success with diluted fat free milk, and also with very VERY small pieces of eggwhite, it's tempting to put a lot in, but you pay for it in smell and rot if you do.

If you want to be a little more 'high tech' I think Epiphytes Delight is a good foliar feed fertilizer.

Okay, but where can I get Epiphytes Delight? By the name, I think my tillandsia would love it. Oh, and pm me where i can get it, then delete this topic. TIA
-Spec
smile.gif

I'm not gonna delete a perfectly valid topic spec!
smile.gif

You can get epiphytes delight by calling Phil, he has cases of it and they just have not been put up on the site yet.

Oh, and it was invented for the purpose of fertilizing tillandsia.

Back