What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seedlings in alabamensis moss

While trimming the S. rubra spp. alabamensis I recently received in the ICPS conservation program, I found 8 seedlings growing out of the moss my plants were shipped with. The were not growing from the rhizome, and they seem to be some type of pitcher. I love a surprise! Has anyone else found anything similar?

Not yet but i am still letting the plants get over the shock of trip in this heat. When I see new growth, I will trim the older pitchers back that are close to dead and look for suprises and let you know what I find.

You might drop a line to Barry R. and ask about any plants that were in the neighborhood of the moss they used to ship the plants in. If anybody would know he would.

My guess is they are more of the same that just did not come up the first time.

That's certainly what I'm hoping...it just surprised me that there were so many. I do tend to get tons of germination with my lights though, so perhaps.

I didn't notice any, but will look tomorrow. They're potted, but I've otherwise left them alone to settle in. I'll be trimming tomorrow and will post again if I find anything. Let us know if you hear anything about the origin of the moss. Bruce

Aside from all the cottonwood tree seeds that have settled in them I haven't seen any signs of new seedlings sprouting.

I checked today and see no sign of hitchhikers. One thing I hadn't noticed before is that the AL003 is pubescent. The AL001 isn't, but it's appearance is otherwise identical to the AL003, except the AL001 is larger so far.

I have sundew seedlings in mine... too small to tell what kind, but they were growing against the rhizome when I got it.

Back