What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frozen bogs?

Kate

Far too old to grow up now.
I have heard stories of frozen bogs where the plants returned with no problemsin spring. So I was wondering, exactly how cold can Sarrs get?

I remember when I had my leucphylla's (or however you spell that) someone told me that in my area that I should leave them outside year around.  And it snows about 3-10 times during the winter were the temps range from 20's-40 usualy.
 But I didn't do what he said ( and my plants are dead  
sad.gif
 )

This is the conersation that we had (note that this was probally some tme in november/december:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> HIM: What part of the country do you live in?  Has your plant been outside all this year previous to now?

ME: I live in the upper part of middle Tennessee. Yes it stayed outside up until a couple weaks ago when I got afraid that it die from the cold temperatures.

HIM: Most of the time what will kill a Sarracenia isn't the cold itself, but dehydration.  Harsh dry cold will suck water right out of the roots.  If your plant is well covered with something like black plastic or fabric it will easily survive short cold spells into the lower 20's.  If you've brought your plant in, it should be someplace like an unheated garage or shed.  It shouldn't be warm.  If your plant is in a warm place it will break dormancy and very likely die from rot.  A fungicide spray like sulfur works well to prevent mold if the plant is in a dark place.

HIM: I checked your current forecast. You're not having cold weather right now. Only when the temps are going into the teens for extended periods do you need to worry. If it's getting into the 40's each day, just leave it outside. Make sure it stays standing in some water.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'd imagine it would depend on the plant though.
Don't know it this helps or not.
wink.gif

-warped

As a rough guess, purpurea ssp. purpurea can survive -20 to -30C, S. rubra jonesii and oreophila are also very cold hardy. Hybrids containing these will also pass on cold hardiness e.g. S.x Dixie Lace. S. flava is also pretty cold tolerant.
S. minor, leucophylla and rubra are the least hardy in theory as they grow along way south.

My S. leucophylla and S. purpurea var. venosa spent the last two winters outdoors in CT and my S. flava and S. minor were out there this past winter.  I sink the pots into the ground, with about 1" of the rim above the ground, and cover them with 1 ft or so of loose pin oak leaves.  I straighten the Sarr pitchers and leaves so the taller ones extend above the oak leaves.  During the winter of 2001-2002, which didn't go below 0F, the exposed parts of the S. leucophylla didn't even die back until new pitcher growth began in the spring.  The colder winter of 2002-2003, when we reached -10F, did manage to brown the parts of the plants extending above the oak leaves.  I don't know the temperature beneath the leaves, but the ground does freeze to below the bottom of the pots.  Bruce

Most all of my plants are in a box like bog that is 4'x8' and off the ground 8".(bad planning on my part) There are dorsera, vft and sarracenias. It went to 8 degress at one point this winter. 19 was not unheard of on a regular basis.I only covered the bog with pine straw that got burned off come spring. I lost nothing. The vft were not even killed back to the ground.

Thanks for the replies. Here's the situation.

My mother recently got some sarrs for her birthday, she lives in Southern Alberta. My Uncle saw them and wants some. He is interested in building a bog, but he is concerned since the temps can get as low as -30C.

My thought was that if he was to cover the bog with deep mulch (at least a foot) they should be alright.

This past winter in the NYC area was the coldest winter in a long time, so I have some recent experience.

Last fall, i received the following Sarrs. leucophylla, rubra gulfensis and minor okee giant, each was potted in a gallon pot wich sat in water. Once it got cold, I moved the plants into the garage to protect them and to keep them warmer.

Well, that did not happen. As it turns out it was an extremely cold winter with frequent temps to 0 degrees. The pots were frozen solid from December to March when I decided it was time to warm them up. To my surprise (expected them all to die), they all survived without any casualties.

Several years back I had all my sarracenia (in excess of 1000 plants) in self constructed bog. They did very well.

The most important thing is to prevent the constant thawing and freezing of your substrate over the course of the winter since this could have the effect of pushing your plants out of the soil. I lost several of my psittacinas this way. I ended up covering the bog with shade cloth which moderated the temp. swings and kept the peat frozen.

I am now setting up something similar.

Hope this helps.

utricman

It did help yes, thank you.

Back