What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thin pitchers!

Hi! I have this Sarr. that I think is a rubra, but the pitchers are really thin, they are only about 1/8 inch at the top. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them to be thicker, or do you think it is a different species?

Are all pitchers thin or are there just a few? If they're all thin then it's probably because the plant is young. Give it a few years and it will have big robust pitchers. If some are thin and some are normal size it's probably because dormancy is coming and the plant is slowing down. After dormancy, it will begin the normal sized pitcher production again. Hope this helps!!

-buckeye

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (droseradude @ Sep. 21 2003,10:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi! I have this Sarr. that I think is a rubra, but the pitchers are really thin, they are only about 1/8 inch at the top. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them to be thicker, or do you think it is a different species?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
How are you growing it? When did you get it? Are the pitchers tall and thin or a few inches and thin?

Well, the pitchers are about 6 inches tall. they are all thin. I got it at this nursery, Armstrongs, I think I got it this July. Right now, it's just on my desk in peat with perlite and a flourescent light above it.

sounds like light deficiency to me. how far away is the bulb, and how many watts is it? you should have at least 100 watts

I think you might be right. When I got it, it was on a dark shelf, and it isn't getting much light now. I'll move the bulb to about 6 inches away. thanks
biggrin.gif

hhhm , sounds like it just wanst to go to dormancy to me and the elaves would be called phyllodia , but now that you mention you got it in july its a deformity , sarrs don't like to be grown in weak light so i suggest moving that bulbs closer or giving it the sun from outdoors .

Back