User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cobra lilly questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking of going out to Lowe's and have my mom buy me a cobra lilly. But my house is ussually cold and flies are pretty much, non-existent now because of the cold. So I need to hand feed it. And I feel it's cooler to hand feed it anyways because it's more parental like. So, how big is the hole where you feed the lilly? Could you drop a bug in there from tweasers? The ones at the store, I saw were up to about 4-8 inches tall. Would the hole be big enough then?
    Does the food have to be alive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No,the food DOES NOT have to be alive.Also cobra lilies need to have cool night temps or they will die,and they need day temps under 80 degrees or they will die!
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Be sure it really is a darlingtonia californica. People always label sarracenias "cobra lilies." Cobra lilies' traps are like this (photo from Barry Rices website in [/I]galleria carnivoria) Sarracenias dont have "fangs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darlingtonia in the wild have seen temps over 100F, however the root temperature doesn't ever exceed 70F. Also they get cooler nights, around 55F after that high heat. If you have a water feature integrated with a pond, just set the plant directly in the water at the more stagnant end of things. I have some in my waterfall and they are growing well, live sphagnum around the filter with cobras and rotundifolia intermixed. May try using a ice pack in the evening time to cool the plant down some.