What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr "?"

Hello ppl

I just got my first 2 sarracenia plants today (from PFT.com), and I was wondering if I can put them both in one pot. I would put them in seperate pots, but I think that they would look better together in a semi-large pot. I did this with some vfts that I got a month or 2 ago, and they don't seem to mind. Also, can I use Lf sphagnum instead of peat moss? And last but not least, would a shallower pot hurt my small sarrs? I've read the savage garden, but I can't find the answers to these specific questions. Thanks alot.

Joel

You can absolutely put them in the same pot (if it's big enough). I have some pics coming up shortly (next few days) of three different sarra"s in a pot (tub). I used 50/50 peat/perlite (maybe more peat) with a layer of long fiber NZ sphagnum moss on top. The sarra"s are doing great and I planted a few D. binatas in with them. They seem to be doing ok as well.

I think you could put them both in a large pot. They don't like shallow pots though. Some of mine have had roots 1 foot long. I think you should at least mix a lot of peat into the LFM

Well everyone else has said it but I want to chime in and say 'Yes' to keeping them in the same pot. I have a minor, an oreophila, 2 'Mardi Gras' and two dozen leuco seedlings in an old dish tub and they love it.

As for your media question, you can definitly use LF sphag instead of peat:sand and I have heard a few reports of late that Sarrs actually prefer LF over peat.

Pyro

Sorry everyone, I'm going to say no!
The rhizomes of Sarracenia enlarge considerably over time and unless you have a huge pot, they will get in each others way.

My dish tub is 30cm x 60cm
smile.gif

Rhizomes travel in a straigh line though, don't they? Just try not to let them cross paths... Hehe... and plant them in such a way that once they start getting bigger, they'll be inthe middle of the pot, not to the side... Hehehe... Its kinda funny imagining a pitcher plant driving thru the soil by its roots...

I use LFS because rain tends to splash everything around if you use peat and it also gets all potholeish... I always prefer LFS... And as long as you don't think your restricing the root system, put them in as small a pot as you want... You DO have to repot every year or two anyways, so why not put it in something you like for the time being? If they get too big or you see a problem, slide out the whole clump of LFS, with the sarrs, and put it in something bigger (especially if its while the medium is still fresh)... LFS is good fro this too kuz it doesnt come apart as easily...

I have a bunch of sarracenia in a minibog and they are about 2" apart.  It will work for at least this year, but I might have to divide them (aaaaakh we're being chopped to peices!
biggrin.gif
) as they are putting off shoots and growing in all directions.
Peter

Back