What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oooo! lookie what i see!

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
Now I KNOW you guys remember my post here about my getting my Purpurea, right? Remember when I said that there is also a different pitcher plant-like thing growing up beside it in the same pot? Very tiny? Well, it's still going strong!!!
wow.gif
I don't know what it is, but it's roots are obviously getting crowded by the purp's roots so much that the tiny but tall pitchers aren't even half open before they start dieing. Anyhowees, I got inspired to do something great today. I'm going to seperate this poor little thing and put it in it's own pot and see what it is! It is by no means whatsoever a purp; I'm sure of that. Here, I'll give you the best description that I can: pitchers are tall and curvy and slender, tubelike, with a somewhat purp-like leafy part... as in, it's a half-moon shape leaf that extends from halfway up the pitcher to right below the ''cap'' of the pitcher. The pitcher itself has a sealed, spade-shaped ''cap'' that is closed flat over the opening of the pitcher when it is coming up. Then the ''cap'' rises up, opening the pitcher. It looks nothing like a purp. Could it be some kind of Flava variety? Anyway, I am probably going to take it out of the pot in a few minutes and put it in a three inch pot for the time being and let it grow. My heart is just to big to just watch the poor little thing struggle to survive in that purp pot like that, so I'm giving it its own home!
wink.gif

So, what do you guys think it is?

Ok I put it in its own pot! GOD that was hard!!! That's like trying to seperate conjoined twins with your bare hands!!!

It's kind of limp-looking, since it's three little leaves were used to being propped up by the purp, but otherwise it looks okay. In the process of seperating the watchamacallit from the purp, one of the roots of the watchamacallit was snapped. Will that hurt it???
confused.gif

So, what ya think the little doohinkey is?

WOOTWOOT!!! I KNOW WHAT IT IS! I KNOW WHAT IT IS!!! It's a S. wrigleyana! I was cruising around PetFlytrap and saw a pic and I knew instantly that that's what my little bonus is! I'm so happy!!! So, any care tips? Is its care requirements any different than those of the purp?

Ah heck,you found out what it was...I was going to suggest calling it Audrey II and seeing if it responds...or giving it the bleeding finger test....but ya don' need to now...rats...
biggrin.gif

***cocks her head and looks at Seminole funny***

Seedling don't like to be transplanted. And they don't like having their roots pulled apart. I know you had to do it. I'd treat it with superthrive.
Good luck I hope it makes it. S. wrigleyana are vrey nice plants.

Me no have no Spahfwive!
tounge.gif

Will it be okay without Superthrive you think?

I think it'll be ok. Superthrive is just rooting hormones and vitimans. It'll help with transplant shock and help it to root.
You can buy it at almost any nursery.

Don't forget to plant the root in case it grows into another one
biggrin.gif

I could be wrong, but unless you have a rhizome portion, that root won't develop (To bad too would make propogating these things much easier&#33
wink.gif

FTG, I have a wrigleyana, and they are pretty cool plants, wait till it matures and reddens up in the sunlight. very beautiful.

Yeah... I can't wait!!!

***runs out the door and crouches down next to wrigleyana*** Grow, little one, grow!
smile.gif

It's an EXTREMELY slow grower!!! The tiny new pitcher that is just sprouting is taking a week to grow a millimeter! Is this normal?
confused.gif

Hard to say for sure, but it likely is still in transplant shock and losing a root kinda slows 'em down too.  Remember the old saying "A watched pot never boils."?  It's only been 2 weeks (I know it seems longer
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
) since you transplanted it.  Transplanting after dormancy is over can slow 'em down for that long or the rest of the season.  It's a good sign that it is still growing
icon14.gif
smile.gif

Eeeeee! Thanks for the help!
smile.gif

Greetings,
FTG

Whoa... this plant has me soooooo stumped... it's producing a purpurea pitcher!
confused.gif

wow.gif

confused.gif

wow.gif

confused.gif

wow.gif
Could it be that maybe I got a small root from the purp when I took the wrigley out? The pitcher is about an inch tall so far and still growing and seems to be growing from the same growth point as the wrigley.

Thanks in advance for getting me to stop looking like an idiot!

smile.gif
FTG

Can you show us a picture of it? IMHO, when these two plants are producing tiny pitchers, they're hard to tell apart, but the root thing is possible... Or maybe, possibly, wierdly
alien.gif
, the two plants conjoined at seed!
wow.gif
tounge.gif
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif
Hey, it is like a 1 to 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance, but what if that 1/100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000th of a chance happened? *calms down, takes deep breath* Ok, my brain is overheating, sorry about that... But really, that is interesting...
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif

Nope, no pics. Like I said, I don't have a digital camera... WAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!

Back