What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rarest Sarr

I wish to own the rarest sarr, and I'm going to Niagara Exotics (hopefully) this week... He sells oreos, rubra jonessi and alabamensis for twenty bucks...

=/

I'll only have twenty bucks, so yea... What do u suggest?
Even if its not one of those, which is rarest? Oh..... what about S purpurea var montana? Thats rare too...

Purpurea Montana is not available to hardly ANYONE yet cept for VEEEEEEERY few souls out there, and they have either obtained th plant through a VERY responsible and legalized person or have poached it.

The rarest Sarracenia out of the ones actually available IMHO is S.Jonesii the second rarest would be S.Oreophila and the last Alabamensis. Just my opinion.
smile.gif

I read in the Savage Garden book that jonseii is almost extinct and I think that qualifies it as rare, but to be honest I haven't even heard of the other two before.

I have a S alabamis. It is a small pitcher and is about 12-18 inches tall. It has grown well for me in my bog. Just my 2 cents worth.

$60 and I can buy all three...
confused.gif

I would imagine alot more than 60 bucks for all three. If they are rare that would really put a price tag on them. I have know idea how they would be
confused.gif

travis

Hi all, If you mean rare in the wild then they are all rare( even close to extinction), but if you mean rare in cultivation then S.p.montana first, S.r.jonesii second, S oreophilla third, and S.r. alabamensis forth. Just my opinion, Jack

I'll add one to this list that might sound off. The S. leucophylla from GA. Until a few years ago it was thought extinct but has again been located. Very few of these are in circulation.

I'm going to Niagara Exotics soon... I certainly hope... Depends on if I can get a ride... Half an hour, why not? Thats my question...
confused.gif

I talked to him about those three plants already, so that IS the price... Ouch in the pocket, but I guess in the long run its a good idea... Hmmm...

Greg, I suggesting to start off with one. What if you did buy them all and they all kiked the bucket? Then 60$ down the drain. Start off with a Jonesii if you want rarity or start off with Oreophila for a beautiful plant.
smile.gif
Or if you like golden pitchers in fall go with an Alabamensis.

Some of the colour forms are pretty rare. There is an all green mutant form of S. rubra ssp. jonesii which I believe is not very common at all in US cultivation. Even the all green form of purpurea ssp venosa is rare. I have only seen a dozen or so at ABG. That plant was a 'one off' find in the wild 9 years ago.

All I am saying is start off slow. And I am trying to help you with your budget, don't go on a buying craze jsut get 1 or 2 this time. But of course it is your money and entirely up to you.

I don't think Parasuco would kill any Sarr..........

BTW, Parasuco pick a number 1 through three.

I understand, kinda, your thinking... But I would still have to pay the full sixty bucks, eventually, even If i only start with one... Theres that, and the fact that I'm not sure the next time I'de go out to Carls to buy it... Hey, NepG... Practice what you preach, huh?
biggrin.gif
Mr.Lets go out of state, and spend hundreds of dollars on Neps... Hehehe... j/k...
tounge.gif

Tristan, 3

If you are gonna tell me which plant to buy, I'm getting all three...

Ok.. here's my 2 cents..
Go for it! If I were in your shoes I'd get all 3 if I could afford it.
And I agree with Tristan. I don't think the Sarracenia's are all going to just kick the bucket. Seems to me they'll be in capable hands.

Allright. Enough, this is way out of hand. All I was doing was making a human SUGGESTION to start out slow. All it was, was a simple SUGGESTION. Sheesh.

Easy NepG, Parasuco said he was just joking around so there isn't really the need to jump on him. Suggestions are good and yours was valid, Parasuco rebutted with his own perfectly valid responce, he just added a little humor to it because that is how he is. I am sure he did not mean it as an insult.

Hi Parasuco,
If you are having success with your Sarras in general and if you can afford the $60, go for it. I have all 3 in large numbers and they are all just as easy as eachother. Just like any other Sarracenias, you just give them the same treatment as you would do for flava, alata leucophylla etc. They soon clump up so it is best to keep dividing every 2nd year (rubra subsp.)

Enjoy! Give my regards to Carl when you see him. He had some plants off me earlier this year.

My purupea is clumping so big that the pitchers can lay down. That counts as good, right?

I will give him your ever so kinda regards
wink.gif
. Hopefully I"ll get to go see him soon, grrrr... Its harder than u think for me to get out to St. Catherines, and I dont know why!!!
Meh.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Back