User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ceph troubles

Ok, I bought a Ceph from someone but unfortunately it arrived here rotted. The plant was all slimy and black but there was one kinda green leaf that wasn't mushy yet so I put that on a peat/sand mix. Do you guys think I have a decent chance of getting it to grow as a cutting? Should I use a rooting hormone to help it out? Or is the whole thing a lost cause?
    I don't know why they rotted en-route.. there was alot of water in the bag.. maybe too much moisture?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worth a try but unlikely it will root as it needs to have the base of the leaf where it attaches to the stem.

Why did it rot? Too much moisture, too long in shipping, too hot or too cold during transit, something wrong with it before it was shipped...

T

Hope they will replace it for you.

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, cephs are incredibly hardy. Mine got scale right after I got it, and spent six months with only one leaf (all winter), but lived! They're pretty unpredictable though, mine may suddenly grow or die back with no change in conditions all the time.You can try growing it, but they seem to require an incredible amount of patience. It will probably be a long time before it shows new growth.

Tony is right, you should see if they'll replace it. It can't be good for business to send out plants like that...

I'm not sure why it rotted. It was put in a zip-lock bag with some peat/ sand and water. It looked like it had too much moisture. It was mailed 4 days ago so it wasn't in the box too long.
    I feel bad asking for replacements though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How big is the ceph? It it dies, you can take some root cuttings and hope for the best. It takes a lot of time for new plantlets to pop up, but it works!
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Well, it looks like I won't be getting any replacements. When I told the person I bought the plant from about their condition on arrival I was told to try the cutting. *sigh* I spent days worth of tips on this..
    Anyway, the plants were about 2 inches. The leaf that might have some life left in it is small.. the size of a pencil eraser. Should I use a rooting hormone? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of rooting this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rooting hormone should help. I didn't use any and still got good results. New plantlets develop much faster than I thought they would. It just takes a LONG time for root cuttings to "do" anything.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also had a similar experience with C.follicularis rotting in the mail. The plant was shipped too wet...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast