What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

massive ceph

I just couldn't believe my eyes when, while surfing on the net recently, i came across a photograph af a guy and his cephalotus which had pitchers as big as his head!!!

I want to see the albino fly trap. My god that is a huge plant though Cephalotus.

I think that is a lie. The picture of the Cephalotus plant looks zoomed in with a camera lens then "put" next to the guy. If it is real I would have to see another picture. It just doesn't look real to me. It is immposible to get a Ceph that big anyway. It is just physically and genetially impossible! If it is real I would have to see another poicture though. I am not convinced. That picture though is neat and if it is real WHOO!!! That is incredible!

Yeah, but that is nothing compared to the full grown giant vft on:

http://www2.labs.agilent.com/botany/cp/pictures/others/pics/bmrvft.jpg

Or check out this drosera capensis 'Chernobyl Giant':

http://www2.labs.agilent.com/botany/cp/pictures/others/pics/bmrdc.jpg

I can't wait to get one of those
wink.gif

Noah

Pretty funny pictures! LOL. So basically that Cephalotus and these photos are fake like I said before right?

(Edited by nepenthes gracilis at 11:10 am on Feb. 20, 2002)

That is my thinking as well.

Noah

Ya those are fakes, and pretty bad one's at that. I have done alot of photo editing in my past, the ceph is a cheap camera trick I learned when I was 9. The guy is sitting about 8 feet behind the plant while the camera man tells him how to position himself so that the plant looks huge and the same distance as the man. I used to do it with my cousins and babies. OH MY GOD ITS A 50 FOOT BABY!!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!! lol. Sorryo to dash anyones giant Ceph fantasies. It can't happen, not like that. The best you can ever hope for is a 3-4 incher, and that's pretty rare.

But there are really screwed up CP's out thee like the triple fanged Bicalcarata. That is either a fake or real but I think it is a fake because go to these two pictures and compare the N.Bicalcarata in them! It is identical! They probably just added an extra fang to make it look good. It did fool me for a second! But then I looked closer and wanted to share with everyone what I found. Look closely! It is the same website so we can start to call them "fakers"
smile.gif

go to http://www.theautoappraiser.com/sdcps/triplefang.jpg for the triple fanged Bical.

Now go hee and look at this Bical. http://www.sarracenia.com/photos2/nbica01.jpg

Now, compare VERY VERY CLOSLY AND TELL ME WHAT YOU FOUND.  Is Von Slaughter at sdcps or autoapprasier.com a fake or does his picture tell the truth?  I found it a fake.

*(sigh)*
yes, they're all fakes
The 'professors' with the 'triple bical' have just stolen a picture carefully taken by Barry Meyers-Rice, who happens to be a 'doctor', unlike the photographers.
See:
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/notestu.html
They are being ignorant, irresponsible fools by not citing that picture. I'm going to see if I can find their email address, so that I can inform them of their great error. If I can't contact them, I'm letting Barry know.
This has got me very angry, to say the least.
mad.gif

Chris

This is unbelivable. Take both my links and click on them then make them right next to each other. IT is unbelivable at the simalarityies bacause they are the same palnts but do try that with them side by side.

Even though they are obviously fakes, and they aren't dificult to do you must admit that the pictures do look kinda funy! I think we should have a little competition to see who can do the best 'fake'! Giants, Man eating, Mutants. I once did a photo on gardenweb forum where I was leaning up against the side of a Ceph Pitcher! It was pretty funky but I lost it and now I cant find it on the site. I might try to do it again. Come on people, give it a go! Post them in the 'general discussions' area!

You know...

if you haven't already written them ( or I might just do it myself )

I went through that whole website the other day when I first saw the link.

I laughed, I cried, I had a cup of coffee
smile.gif

They are having a contest on which criket will survive?!?
!#&#36@%^#&#36&#36!*^&#36#@&#36!@&#36*^&#36**@&%(@

I really don't feed my plants, b/c I have way too many...if they catch something, they catch something.

I am going to start playing with different things on feeding these plants that isn't killing anything.

PLUS ( yes there is more )

They put a LIVE RAT IN A NEPENTHES!

I am a big animal lover and that had me steamin...it shows the before ( live rat ) and then a couple of days later they emptied the pitcher and the remains were spread out. VERY SICK and INHUMANE

This is a CP soceity on the west coast that is doing this! FRIGGIN CP LOVERS!

THEN

they took a bunch of goldfish and tossed them on a tray of D. adelae and took pics over the course of like 8 days or so. NASTY! And VERY CRUEL!

These plants don't catch this kind of stuff in the wild...some of these plants catch NOTHING AT ALL!!

Anyway...b4 I step down from this soapbox, I encourage people to write whomever you need to ( if you are as upset about this as I am ) and get these people some bad press.

In the meantime, I encourage people to find other ways at feeding your plants ( if you even feel a need to feed them at all )

I couldn't find their email anywhere on the page. I didn't know there was more to it--something about feeding fish to cp? That makes me even more PO'd, as I like fish almost as much as plants! Did you see their email address listed anywhere? If so, they'll be hearing from me.

I already emailed Barry Meyers-Rice a few days ago.

I encourage intelligent humans to feed their plants (if they feed their plants) INSECTS and other lower forms of life. Rats have been called intelligent creatures, and giving them a pointless death deserves you a place hopefully shared by poachers:
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2640.html
I tend to agree with Barry's rant in the second or third paragraph.

You must tell me their email address. I must have verbal revenge.
I must sound rather crazed, but I really don't like these photo-stealing, animal-killing people.
Chris

(Edited by Dionaea Enthusiast at 2:21 am on Feb. 26, 2002)

Ok so here is the deal...

I have found 3 email addresses: they are for contacting them.
info@sdcps.com -general contact
kahuna@sdcps.com -general contact

ms1@san.rr.com -president and founder email address

The site:
http://www.theautoappraiser.com/sdcps/members_frames.htm

Here is the fish link as well as the rat:

bet on which criket will live:

I feel ill. I am working on my letter to this place. I encourage anyone, if you feel this is just wrong, contact them and let them know about it.

I must admit I feed crickets to my traps but only if they haven't caught anything in a while. My other half keeps Lizards and she feeds the crickets to them as they maintain the hunting skills and are the natural food for them. We breed crickets and all crickets are kept in humane conditions. I certinally would never have competitions or feed rats and mice though.

Wado I think feeding live insects to cp is a great idea! But I agree having contests to see how quickly they're killed is not a good thing at all. I'd love to breed crickets myself but haven't gotten around to it. I used to know a great webpage dedicated to the practice but I can't seem to remember...

And that experiment with the mouse disgusted me beyond belief. I might have a Gary Larsonesque sense of humor, but even it has its boundaries. Why don't those &#36#&#36%* try eating mice and see how they taste?! Sound appetizing? Nice nutrient load?
mad.gif

Ok, ok, no use flaming at them. I'll write them nice, polite emails that kindly inform them of their stupidity and cruelty.
Chris

Here is my real beef...

I understand that these plants feed on bugs... I know people feed them. I am not opposed to that.

As I do not like to see anything die, I am aware that it happens.

My problems are:

1) having a contest to see who lives...or which plant eats the most. The people that are running the San Diego CP Society are acting like children ( I know that I leave myself open to attack on this, but I thouhgt that CP people were more into it for the plants, not the satanist rituals of tossing virgins into the mouths of the volcano )

2) the placing of a rat into a Nepenthes? I don't get this one either. I know that these plants have been known to eat mice and birds sometimes...but I have also read that it is believed to happen b/c the animal is sick or dying. If it were healthy, they can escape ( which I agree) This goes beyond cruel.

I know some people have lizards and snakes and they feed them rats. BUT THAT IS WHAT THEY EAT!! If the snake was in the wild, they would go and catch a rat. A Nepenthes doesn't do this ( small bugs, frogs- whatever happens to fall into the plant )

3) AND THE FEEDING OF FISH TO A SUNDEW! This is the one that has me wondering.

My concern is not the fact that the plants are being fed. I know that if they were in the wild they would feed on bugs ( if they even catch a bug ). They are feeding these plants things that they would naturally NOT eat!

As I mentioned in an earlier post...I am working on ways to feed your plant something other than live creatures. And if anyone has ideas that they would like to share, Please write me or leave a post.

There are several ways to feed your plant something else. Or not feed it at all.

And for a CP Society to be doing this? That is what is most upsetting about the whole thing. They should know better!

Forgive me for being or sounding rude, or if I offend someone. But this practice isn't right.

I am in the process of writing people that I feel can do something about this.

I again, encourage anyone who feels that this is not right, to contact someone.

I totally agree people shouldn't be gaining an evil satisfaction by feeding insects to cp, but are you saying what you're opposed to is feeding living things to cp in general? If so, I'm not offended because I know what you mean--it's not great to kill living things.
This argument is multi-faceted and it's likely no one will ever agree on it. I often feed live insects to my cp because I know without a doubt they're the best thing I can feed them. I do it for the plants, not some sick inner child. I occasionally feed my cp freeze dried bloodworms from convenience only--which is usually when I don't feel like bug hunting or in the winter. Blood worms are already dead. I didn't kill them, but someone else killed them just for me, and I bought them without hesitation or a moral dilemma. 'Does them being dead already make this right?', one may ask. It certainly does in my opinion.
But what you say you're opposed to is feeding live bugs to cp. (Of course, we're all opposed to making feeding a cruel, childish game.) I respect your view and respect your decision not to unfairly impose your view upon others.
Let's say someone discovers a food for plants that completely replaces insects and works JUST AS WELL as live insects. If that ever happens, which likely won't be in my lifetime, I will use it. I'd rather not have to live with the fact that I killed many, many insects just for my plants. But until that food is invented, I'm going on as I always have. I hope no one has misunderstood me, and I welcome comments.

And it's good to see you're also writing them. Anyone else, if you think this is wrong, go ahead and write.

You know, I think we've forgotten about what I was originally so angry about: Barry's bical picture was taken without permission and not cited. This sdcps... :shocked:
Chris

Back