Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darlingtonia californica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where I live (western Oregon) we have mild winters, so I leave all my plants outside. The only time I worry is if the temp's get in the 20's over several days. If that happens I bring my plants into the garage until the temp's rise again.
    Jack
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jack,
    For Darlingtonia, I would leave them outside all year around, after all, they come from your part of the world. Ideal!
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fridge dormancy is a really deep sleep, and the natural way (still in the pot, and with a short photoperiod for them to photosynthesize in) is a abit healthier... Darlingtonia have been known to be buried in snow in their natural habitat...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, I know that. I live in NH and I have some Darlingtonia, so should I just leave them outside?
    \"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?\"

\"If vegans love animals so much, why do they eat all thier food?\" - Brandonk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might get a bit too cold on NH but I'd bet you would be oaky to keep them outside for the most part. I would just keep an eye on the weather channel and if you are going to have extended periods of below freezing weather then move the plant to some place protected where the temp will be less harsh (inside a garage or a storage/garden shed/patio closet.)

Pyro
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (unknownclown @ June 29 2002,05:32)
    Kinda early to worry about dormacy dont ya think
    what you do is take the plant out of the soil to do that take a clump of soil around the roots and swish it around in a bowl of water. That will get the soil off without disturbing the roots too much,
    Then you will need some antifungal stuff Im not sure which works I dont use the refrdgerator for dormacy. ok so after the fungus stuff is applied to the roots wrap the roots in a wet paper towel then put the plants in a baggie and your set. Then check them every once in awhile to make sure everything is still fine no fongus or mildew.[/QUOTE]
    When going with the fridge method, can't I just put the entire pot (potting medium and roots all intact) into the fridge? Why is it recommended that one go through all this trouble of taking it out of the soil, washing the roots, applying antifungus, bagging, etc?

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uh Jack
    You know.... Cobra lillies are from Oregon they grow there in the mountains from california all the way to Southern Washington. So my advice is simple put it outside if you want the happiest plant possible.

Raw you could put the whole thing in there if you wanted but for some of us that would just take up way too much room and we'd have to buy a separate one just for food

I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

8. Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12