What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Great Experiment

I tried using milk a month after I recieved my S. purpurea ssp venosa 'burkei' ($5) bareroot in June. A week or so ago, I noticed that the plant has started to produce 5 new growth points! I'm not sure if it was from the milk though. I have an S. flava ($5) with 2 growth points come to me bareroot 2 years ago, and that year it made 13 more growth points; I didn't use milk with this plant. Unfortunatly the following year, one of the big original growth points and 7 of the young ones were wiped out by fungus.
Might be a coincidenc then.

Just had a thought...I wonder if you could use protien shakes? There is a protien shake called egg whites and if you mix it with distilled water wouldn't it would work? Maybe exspense (around 20 bucks) but may work. Any thoughts?

travis

What mixture of distilled water and milk would be safe for a purp? And what kind of milk? Just curious becasue I see all positive results from it, I was thinking of trying it out, thanks
smile.gif

sorry for being a little late to the party on this but...

ram puppy,
could you give us an update as to how your plants are doing once they come out of dormancy? also, what, exactly, is this whey protien suppliment stuff? brand name? it's like weight gainer, right? if i was to go to the store, what should i look for?

fyi: when all this was happening, i was just starting to get into cp's, and it was all vft's. now that i have an s. purpurea, and 12 sarrs on the way from pft, i'm very interested.

thanks,
technoracer

Gee the threads you can miss when you are not paying attention.
I have been researching this subject for some time now. I thought about using VegeFuel, which is a vegetable protein powder. Powdered eggs are very expensive in all the places i looked, and some places wanted 50 pound bags to be minimum order. I also considered nonfat dried milk. I have heard whole milk can rot traps, especially in a terrerium setting with high humidity.
I found a place in Oregon that makes something called Soya Musca. It's a powder that is soy based, but also has dried ground flies(common house fly) mixed in it. It is made for insectivorous things like birds and reptiles(put a little on their fruits and veggies). They also sell live and dried larva, and live and dried pupae. I was thinking about making a dilute suspension in a blender to feed pitchers and such.
I started delving into this, because it seemed a better plant than trying to feed fruit flies or pinhead crickets to seedlings with tiny pitchers.
I am interested in further results on all of your tests, as the early data seems incredably fast for growth! Then again, I know of someone who stuck a misquito he plucked off his arm(full of his blood) and threw it on a butterwort, and noticed a growth explosion, lol.
Regards,

Joe

i am doing this experiament with regular milk . i hope I get good results and soon i'll try to do it with egg whites but is it ok to feed them with the yolks too .

WOW! I remembered this thread from the summer, and since I ordered 6 bareroot sarracenia, I reread to see what would help growth with new pitchers for bareroot plants! Although, I was wondering what those plants are up to nowadays? I'm anxious to try it out! What are some common brands of whey protein isolate? Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

wow, i forgot about this topic, i have an update on my srracenia that i did the experiment on. My S. xRehdiri put up a flower in 1 week, not the flower is almost open. The S. Flava "Heavy Veined" has a ton of new rhizome buds and has produced 5 offshoots that are now starting to grow. I just took my plants out of dormancy feb. 14, now you can see alot of growth. I cant wait untill middle of may, my mini bog will have a rainbow of colors, i cant wait
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
Kevin

So wait, what did you end up feeding them in the end?
confused.gif

I did some testing with my Nep, it actually responded best to 2% milk o_O right in the middle for fatty I guess is good.

This is such an interesting thread. I'm going to try this with my hail damaged Sarracenias tonight.

Could Erect Sarracenias have been the first automatic cow milking machines? LOL

Darcie,

Just to make sure you covered all angles(I assume we are excluding chocolate milk, lol), did you try 1% also? Obviously insects are not fat free, so it's not complete surprising that 2% may work better than skim.

Regards,

Joe

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RamPuppy @ July 23 2002,8:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And Finally, there is NO control Group (other than the Lucy, Mardi Gras, and Oreophylla that were not experimented on and are growing in the same pot.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Oooo, I've never heard of "Lucy." Where could I get one?

Thanks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Griffin @ April 15 2003,01:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Darcie,

Just to make sure you covered all angles(I assume we are excluding chocolate milk, lol), did you try 1% also? Obviously insects are not fat free, so it's not complete surprising that 2% may work better than skim.

Regards,

Joe[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I've never heard of 1% milk. So no.

confused.gif
wink.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif
What is with 1%/ 2%, probably not much different, but I still prefer whey protein isolate!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

I tried 2% milk on a little sarr i got in the mail that didn't look too well.  Within a week it sent up a pitcher that was twice the size of the old pitchers and that pitcher is still growing.  I couldn't believe how fast it works.  I wonder what beer would do to a plant?
biggrin.gif
 I have never tried this seem as how i'm not 21 and neither are my plants!
smile.gif

Hi,

has onyone tried this experiment on Cephalotus Follicularis?
I only have one, but it's very small and I would like it if it could get a boost, but I'm afraid to test it as I only have one....

Jaco,

Try a diluted drop if you are worried. I can't see how it would kill your Ceph.
Darcie,
I live in Nebraska where the most popular pizza topping is hamburger(I am told it does not do well on the East Coast), and we have four grades of milk(VD or whole, 2%, 1% and skim). I work for a grocery chain and all three dairy companies carry all four grades.
The % refers to the mount of cream in the milk.
Skim has .5-.7 %, 1% has...shock, 1% and 2% is 2% cream. Whole milk, or vitamin D, has about 3.25%. Hope that helps explain that.
Beer is an interesting thought. I have heard that two of the best things for your lawn is beer and urine(so hold a lawn kegger if you want a nice-looking lawn), but you can dump all sorts of chemicals on lawns compared to cp.

Regards,

Joe

Hi Mr. Brewer:

If this helps, a friend of mine under the name of Hilmut uses a tablespoon of bone and blood fertilizer for the pinguiculas per 7 inches pot. The results are amazing!!!!!..

Gus

Im going to try this experiment this year too!
sounds very interesting..
I will try with a control group..
I ordered 15 of the 1$ plants from PFT, so I have a bunch to experiment with!
I think I have 4 new Judith Hindles that are all about the same size.
and maybe 6 or so Tarnoc's..
(im at work right now..so I cant check for certain)
But I will do something like 3 or 4 plants with milk, and 3 or 4 without, trying to match up similar sizes for both sets..
I will make up a web page soon to document the experiment!

Scot

Back