Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Experiment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, this experiment is very fast and loose, for several reasons:

The 3 Sarracenia Purpera used are in different stages of growth (One 2 year old, 2 One Year Olds), they are outdoors, and thus can catch on their own so supplimental nutrients can not be monitored, and neither did I clean out their pitchers before starting. And Finally, there is NO control Group (other than the Lucy, Mardi Gras, and Oreophylla that were not experimented on and are growing in the same pot.

Now, all of them are potted in the same planter. so I guess that is cool.

The substances introduced to the plants are:

Fat Free milk, Undiluted, Fat Free Milk, Diluted to 1/5th, and here is the kicker... Whey Protein Isolate, 1 teaspoon mixed to 5 teaspoons distilled water.

For those that don't know, Whey Protein Isolate is the essence of milk, cold processed out of it, it is what Body Builders use in their meal replacement shakes... this stuff is pretty pure, with only infintessimal amounts of sugar and fat included...

I sprayed the pitchers down with distilled water after introduction, and labled each plant.

So, I will let you all know of the progress with this experiment in a few weeks time.. I will keep you updated as I go.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please do.

I will be amazed if the plant can break down milk protein. You will be able to tell once the pitchers can be dissected, so growth won't be the only indicator.

Steve
    I'd rather have a butterwort in front of me than a...wait, ummm...I'll come up with something...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,

Several people here have reported success with adding milk to their pitchers... so it's not a huge leap... I think perhaps yeah, the whey protien isolate might be... but who knows... it is actually designed to be ripped into amino acids and assimilated as rapidly as possible by body builders... so it could work here as well... I am more worried about the artificial vanilla flavoring! (One pitcher only!!!!&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not a tiny blob of raw egg white? Prolly hard to get a tiny blob...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Has anybody tested with whole milk?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added whole milk to a Flava pitcher. I read somewhere that Flava's are supposed to get 50% bigger per growing season. Don't know if that's true or not, but mine has DOUBLED in height so far, and it's not even August yet. New pitchers are coming up fast, too. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I also tried with a Purpurea, which has generated one new pitcher since, but it does look healthy and plump! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Parasuco @ July 25 2002,1:21)
    Why not a tiny blob of raw egg white? Prolly hard to get a tiny blob...[/QUOTE]
    You can hard boil the egg and then use the whites. Sundews , Sarrs ,neps, and Pings like egg whites.( I've used them on all my plants) The dews will start drooling and close all the way around the egg whites. Its really cool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But can it be applied to nepenthes?

9. Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast