What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ppl who grew/grow Darlingtonia post here

Hi. I tried to grow Darlingtonia twice outside my window here. I used glazd ceramic white pot and the medium was only from Sphagnum moss and perlite... I protected the pot with another bigger plastic pot from the morning sun wich it recived but it was still to hot for them and i wasnt able to keep the plant cool enough. The same for seedlings i germinated...

YtK

can someone please post pics of cobra seedlings?? i got a plant from lowes half way dead and now where the dead pitchers were there is two plants with green leaves that look just like grass growing out of the center were the pitchers of the lily were growing. need to see if this is the plant coming back to life.

i don't think its a seedling thats coming out your dead plant it may just be a weed that grew there or an offshoot of the plant . why don't you get a pic for us to see .

well i would if i could- but i still need to figure out how to setup my program from my camera so that i can post pics- i hate computers- anyhow i had seen the same plants coming from another lily that was dead at the store to- so that would make me think that it would be the plant? i will be ticked off if i have wasted the time to water a weed
sad.gif

Hello,
I have been growing D. californica for a few years now.  I use 50/50 perlite and peat moss in a terracata 8" pot.  They are grown year around outside, which is not hard to do since I live in Western Washington; just north of their native habitat.  The plants are top watered when the weather is hot (above 80 F).  The results are satisfactory.  They do flower and produce offshoots from stolons.

-Homer

SSC

darlingtonia may be my most favorite cp and the cp i know most about but i have had a hard time growing it too and all my darlingtonias died so i'm still experimenting but its hard to find plants for sale locally around my area .

I have one that isn't really getting much bigger, but is holding on. It gets purple patches on the pitchers that look like they might be some kind of fungus, but it seems to do okay, anyway. It has gotten a bit dry a few times, but in spite of that i noticed today that there is a baby plant in next to the parent! Grows in a 3" unglazed pot under lights.

Mine has the "sprawl" problem, too - all the pitchers grow horizontally.

Darlingtonia grow quite slow , the purple pathes are'nt fungus its just the colaration , and darlinonia usually grow horizontally for a while until they get more mature .

Is the white, "dusty" layer that always appears at the middle of the purple patches part of the plants normal behavior, too?

I grow Darlingtonia, I live in western Oregon pretty close to where they grow wild. I'm lucky, they almost grow like weeds. Last year I had pitchers three feet tall. This year they were attacked by aphids so all the pitchers were deformed.

Hello,
A little update, my plants have grown nicely all year long outside. My largest pitcher is only 10 inches tall, but I think that for it basicaly split growth points, now it has 4 or 5 growth points out of the mother plant.I also have a few smaller plants, and traded a smaller one that i grew from seed. I think now I have 7 individual plants. Maybe I could trade some.....
Kevin

oh cool! My largest darlingtonia is only 5 inches
ghostface.gif

hey , yesterday my local nursery had a shipment of new cps and darlingtonia was included . they were very healthy specimens but i had no money so i had to wait til today . when i cam there today , almost of most of the cps in that box were gone , i guess they are slowly getting popular but all the darlingtonia were there . i chose from the most healthiest , biggest and most colorful . to bad i could'nt save all their lives , one was about to flower as well but i'm guessing it will abort if it stays in that small 3 inchs pot with a cup over it any longer . i just brought it home and soon i will be posting pics . i will be using some of your tips here so i ensure that this plant won't die . i've gone over about 10 cobra lilies in my lifetime and they either all died or were traded away . wish me luck .
smile.gif

Back