What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ppl who grew/grow Darlingtonia post here

I was wondering , how many ppl grew/grow Darlingtonia californica and also the cariety othello which i'm looking for . for ppl whpo grew this plant pelase tell us your experiance or how u think it died cuz and ppl who grew this plant succesfully please post tips and how big it is now .

I currently grow Darlingtonia. I keep them in my basement which has stayed below 70°F. I water the plants from above daily with cool water. They receive 14 hours of artificial lighting. I will be transplanting them into larger containers soon, as they have outgrown thier current containers.

I have 2 Darlings. One is a newbie to me but it is along side my other plant that I have had for 2 years. I grow them in an open mix, perlite:LFS in a 2:1 for the older plant LFS:clay pellets:coco fiber 1:2:1 for the new plant. They are in 7" clay pots in deep trays out on my patio year round in semi-shade all day. 1-4 time a day (depends on the day and how much time I have) I suck water from the tray with a turkey baster and squirt it around the plant. Personally I think that it is water flowing over the roots more than 'cold roots' that makes a difference but I am sure the clay pots help with evaporation a little.

As far as 'Othello' goes, I am pretty sure this is still pretty rare in cultivation as it is only known from one protected population in the wild and Barry is the only one who knows the location and has collected seed

I have a Darlingtonia that I bought at lowes.  I have it growing under my flourescents (14 or 15 hours.... can't remember off the top of my head).  The temp is usually between 80 and 85 degrees.  I top water when the top of the soil looks a little dry.  I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, or my Darlingtonia is adaptable.  
confused.gif

I have grown Darlingtonia for many years. I grow them in an outside artificial bog 3ft x 6ft x 2ft deep filled with 100% milled canadian spagnum peat. Of course, I am cheating because I live in northwestern California in the same climate that they are native. I have also grown them in a coldframe greenhouse, but they do much better outdoors. Summers here are cool and foggy and it seldom freezes in winter.

Hi!

My setup is low-maintenance.

I've got a Lowe's $3 special ("SEE the amazing half-dead plant! WATCH us callously kill it with neglect! BUY it out of sheer despair!") going in a pot 1:1:1 LFS:peat:perlite, in an undrained glazed 8" pot. I keep enough water in it to hear bubbling, as I am aerating the soil 24/7 with a small aquarium air pump--the tube runs to the bottom of the pot. The idea is to keep the oxygen content of the soil high, and to cool gently through forced evaporation.

The pot is topped off with an inch of perlite to protect the soil surface from solar heat. This is ugly, but effective.

Indirect sun all day, direct late day sun for about 2 hours--this is lengthening with the day. Misted at night, and in the morning, when I remember. Mostly, I ignore it.

Original leaves grew some to little, and I lost the hood of one, probably to dryness. It has two new leaves after about 8 weeks in the ground. First leaf is quite small, but well-formed. Second leaf seems to be much more ambitious. The plant is a nice, dark green and seems to be picking up steam after a long adjustment period. No feeding or fertilization.

Steve

Here's a photo of my flowering Darlingtonia californica. No big setup...just cold water and the tray system and lots of light. Grows along with my Sarracenia fine.

dar1.JPG

nice pic Dustin
smile.gif
, i have one Darlingtonia, its produced alot of runners and flowered 1 time since i got it.(I got it 3 years ago at a shop in Ferndale California, they were called big foot collections...)I grow it in a 1:1:1 ratio of peat moss, perlite and sand, loves the mix, i give it a little overhead watering every other day, if im gone for a long time, simply poke a very, i mean very tiny hole in the top of an empty pop bottle filled with distilled water, and it drips every 5 seconds, i dont put it near the crown, but around 2-3 centimeters away from the growth point. I also grow some live terrarium moss with it. I grow it with my sarras, and it loves it, took a bad winter storm last september, but its recovering excellant! I am planning on getting alot more (4-7 plants) this coming May.
Kevin

How do you keep the medium cool when the ambient temperature gets up to 95 degrees in the shade?
confused.gif

I plan to water them with cold water, but surely the medium will again heat up within a few hours. Perhaps I'm in over my head when I decided to rescue my Darling from Lowe's.

I grow mine in a fountain.

I planted it in LFS in a channel I carved in the fountain so that the roots are constantly in slow moving running cool water, it seems to like the situation as it has many new pitchers and a new runner.

very nice Darlingtonia dustin , how big is the plant . Larry , read my topic on my care sheet on how to grow the plant , it wil help you alot . but from what you say , you should grow the plant in shade , water it with refridgerated purified water , and put some ice cubes on top of the soil . maehem , I am going to  try to grow the plants the way you do . I forgot to mention that my plant is flowering at the moment , it actually making a bud but the stem is growing really slow .BTW , what companys did you get your Darlingtonia from , the ones i got had no tga on them and did'nt say anything .

Goldtrap, I got this plant in a 3 inch pot...that's right 3 inch pot and it's flowering. Mine was gonna flower but aborted it after it got dried out accidently.
sad.gif
Oh well next year should be spectacular with 5 new babies emerging from the soil and 3 growing points on my plant.

wow.gif
5--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (larry @ April 09 2003,7
wow.gif
5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How do you keep the medium cool when the ambient temperature gets up to 95 degrees in the shade?  
confused.gif

I plan to water them with cold water, but surely the medium will again heat up within a few hours. Perhaps I'm in over my head when I decided to rescue my Darling from Lowe's.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You can get a big temp difference by offering evaporative cooling on the outside of the pot and a strong cross-wind across the pot (not the plant). Use a very big pot.

Put a white cloth rope around the pot--this can look nice, if you wind it tight and fasten it properly.  Stick the bottom end of it into a cool water source.  Keep the pot (not the plant) in the shade and provide the breeze.  You can get 20 deg F difference this way if the water is very cold.

Top the pot with an 1/2-inch to an inch of perlite (it's ugly, but you can cover this if you want with LFS) to provide insulation. This is an inch over and above the level you have the plant's crown at. Don't worry--the leaves will find their way out.

I bury the water pot, and provide a tube for replenishment.

Rube Goldberg?  Heck yes! But it works.

steveo

000_0347.jpg

Hey,
Heres a pic of my 3 darlingtonia, better late than never! Hope you enjoy,
Kevin

Bought mine right here at PFT about a year and a half ago; came in a three inch plastic pot. It's now in a white 5 inch white glazed ceramic, top watering twice a week (none of that turkey baster pampering
tounge.gif
), very easy plant. It seems to like it here in santa monica.

For some reason, it never grows tall. Instead it keeps spreading horizontally. I'm wondering how i can get it to tower. Leo

cobra.jpg

Recently purchased at Lowes. I grow my Cobra Lily in a 100% spaghnum moss. Water the plant twice a week from above. Anyway here's a pic of it.

Cobra%20Lily.JPG

i am the owner of a few darlingtonia seedlings that just sprouted. i just put them in a bowl of water, stirring a little every day. they germinated in about a week and i just planted them in some peat. Zongyi
biggrin.gif

Eh... I used to have a couple... but they got no bigger than two inches tall and died from root rot recently (I think)...

Back