What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOIL!

i saw a picture of a few sarracenia flavas and saw that they were in a clear plastic pot,and i saw that the soil was on top of what looked to be perlite so it looked like this....
p
l
a
n
t
soil
perlite

sorry, its a rough typing, but thats what it looked like, no mix or nothing, and it was using the tray system, should i do this with mine?Does any body else use this way?I currently have a peat/perlite mix is this the best way?Thanks,
Kevin
wink.gif

Soil mixes vary from grower to grower, environment to environment. You can find success with almost any mixture of peat, perlite, sand. Personally, in the long run I find that Sarracenia like a "lighter" soil. Pure peat may work in the short term, but the plant is very susceptible to rot. I like to use peat:perlite mixtures in equal proportions. This allows for adequate aeration of the roots.
The bottom layer of straight perlite could improve drainage. Again, in the long term peat will "sour," if kept constantly wet.
Just my thoughts,
imduff

I find that it depends on your area like imduff mentioned. IN a state like Tenn. for example Michael Catalani has all his Sarracenia in pure peat. And do you know why? Because if the plants were in anything else they would dry out too quick, so his mix is pure peat as it drys consideribly and doesn't get sour in the hot dry weather.

My mixes have been with great success: peat:perlite/ peat:sand/peat:perlite:sand/peat (for 2 months only, I was nervous so I switched the soil mix) and almost pure sand and a few handfuls of peat. My leucophylla loves the mix. I added peat to acidify it and hold the mix together.

ok thanks guys, ya mine is a mixturure of peat and perlite, my flava loves it, right now it has 10 new little sproughts, but its starting to go into dormancy so the older ones are turning brown, im guessing the new ones are autum pitchers, i cant wait till spring!!!
wink.gif

Kevin

Back