What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exact benefits of trichoderma bacteria?

Hello all,
Today my tricoderma beneficial fungi, bacteria, protozoa, whatever, arrived here today in the form of Root Shield. I have already given a small amount to my young Cephalotus Follicularis 'German Giant' (yes, I know this is unofficial, but it leans more towards this "given" cultivars charecteristics as made by growers. ) in water, and was wondering what exactly it is doing, (besides the claim of protecting from some diseases) if it is beneficial to other CPs, and if there is an underdose/overdose risk? Thanks!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Hi Lithopsman:

If you go to www.cpukforum.com and register yourself if you have not already, check on the trichoderma threads. I have been using it for a year already!!. It is just great!!. It protects your plants because it devours some root rot nasties as well as perhaps creating a symbiotic relationship with your cephs. All my cephs are growing with this soil conditioner and i had no fungus problems so far!!!. Excess will never harm your plant. However, very little amounts of trichoderma may not offer the adequate protection you are seeking for your plants. Trichoderma is a fungi!!!.

Gus

Thanks, I always get confused whether it's bacteria or fungi, as I've seen it listed as both... I added the other words for humor. I put a few sprinkles or pinches of it in a tiny bit of water, and the water turned a lighter version of the color of the powder, so I assume it was enough? Also, do you do anything besides wear rubber gloves when handling? Thanks!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Not much of a fungus man heh heh but I would advise a dust mask if you are in "windy" conditions.....I certainly wouldn't want to inhale this airbone "dust" fungi into my respiration organs.

It is not known to cause disease in humans, but with everything else. Just be cautious. I always dip my hands in trichoderma water when soaking cuttings. I don't see anything nasty growing in me!!.

he he

Gus

I did this indoors, or at least enclosed a little so that there was no wind... I did wear gloves, mainly because there was sphagnum involved...
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Back