What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaves on my s. purperea

A while back my S. purperea started growing leaves.  I was wondering if this is a common thing?  Almost suddenly the leaves seem pretty large, and there is a stalk.  It's not a flower, it's a stalk that is about a foot and a half long with little leaves going all the way up it.

I was just wondering if anybody had ever heard of this, or seen this?  I thought it might've been a foreign seed that was in my soil mixture.  I'm not too sure though?  If purps do grow leaves, and if anyone has any pictures of what the leaves look like, that would be fantastic.  Or just a description of what the leaves look like.  

If it is a foreign plant in my beautiful purps pot could it be hurting it with its root system?  If so should I try and take the plant out somehow?  Thanks for any advice
smile.gif

hum.........it sounds like phylodia to me the stalk could be a flower stalk gone ary producing leaves not flowers but the thing is purps dont usualy grow phylodia
confused.gif

Should I try and pull it out or just leave it, I don't want it to harm my purp.

Any way you could get a picture? It doesn't sound like a normal function of a Purp.

I am hopefully going to have a photo tomorrow, I just need a USB cord for my camera.

all the sarracenia species, have phylodia ( well at they produce phylodia for me in the winter ) so i think its quite normal . but in this case it sounds more like a weird growth .
confused.gif

Back