Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heliamphora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

My heterodoxa x minor has been growing in my *lowland* terrarium for several months now. It has been growing quite well. It's placed on a shelf close to the lights. Average highs in the low 70's currently. Lows in the mid 60's. If these clones origionated from lower or upper elevations I have no idea. Hope this helps.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow a H. heterodoxa x minor plantlet in 55-100F, in a windowsill that gets a few hours of morning sun, indirect the rest of the day. It enjoys hanging out next to the orchids. It's too small to see any coloration yet either way. I do keep a plastic cup w/hole on top to keep the humidity above 50%
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trying to grow heliamphora tatei, as we speak, i had a full mature pitcher and a baby one. I had it for three weeks. The mature pitcher is getting yellow but the baby one is growing strong!!.

I grow mine in a terrarium with the bottom part of the pot immersed in water, it gets all the light it can get from 2 x 36 W bulbs. the temperature right now is about 85 F during the day and 75 at night. Let's hope it can acclimatized to these conditions.

Agustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What medium do people use on their Heliamphoras?
    'He who sees things from the beginning will have the finest view of them' Aristotle 384-322 AD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow mine in a very airy mix of perlite/peat with a topdressing of live LFS. I keep the mix light to compensate for the tray watering method which I use: the plants do not appreciate being waterlogged.

I lost several species overnight last summer in the worst heatspell in a decade. They might be able to tolerate some heat, but I would advise good attention be payed to the plants in conditions of extreme heat. When they go, they go fast!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife Michelle got me a large mature H. nutans for my birthday last May. It's growing in a belljar where the humidity is always extremely high. Since getting it it has grown some huge pitchers. We keep it indoors where it gets some direct morning sun and a very bright open shade exposure the rest of the day. During the summer it lived at air conditioning temps-mid eighties when the sun shines into the belljar, with night temps down into the mid to low seventies. we let the house get cool at night now (winter), so its night temperatures are consistently into the sixties. It's growing in a mix of washed, untreated cypress mulch, perlite, and a little peat moss. Michelle fertilizes it with very dilute orchid fertilizer with trace minerals no no urea once a month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a friend of mines recomends a soil mix of long fibered sphagnum moss , tons of perlite , and orchid bark . good things to add to this mix are live sphagnum as a top dressing and pumice or lava rock to keep the roots cool and aerated . i hear peat is not good for this plant and get make the plant quite waterlogged and as for growing helis in highland conidtions , its possible i think as long as it stays cool at night .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just repotted a few of my H. sp 'Ilu Tepui'. I use a mix of live sphagnum moss, peat, sand and perlite (approx 4:3:1:1) - they're not fussy, but as Tamlin said, a more open mix obviates problems if you water on the tray system. A little more growing live sphagnum on the top looks nice, and may help to reflect light (heat) away from the soil in hot times.

Best wishes.

Rob.

http://www.rob-rah.com
    udder7@hotmail.com
    Rob Howe.

Homepage
    http://www.ukorchidforum.com
    CP growlist

Seeking: Drosera hilaris (seed)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast