Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia  x  'willisii' on ebay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this auction on Ebay. Since I've never actually seen a willisii, anyone know if this is really a willisii?

Ebay - Sarracenia x willisii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have seen that auction I was going to pm it to you yesterday, since you were wondering how a S. Willisii looks since you think you have a mix with a oreo I believe. I saw that post in this topic which you had your pic's and you thought it was a mix between a willisii. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] Well are you going to make a bid. And yes this is a real S. Willisii. Hope you make a bid. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    What is the Propability of the Propability?
    If someone is addictied to therapy how will you treat them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The eBay entry states: "The parentage of this plant is really still a matter of debate, but characteristics of S.Leucophylla and S.Purpurea are obvious."

That in itself presents a problem since the CP Database states that the parents of Sarracenia x willisii {Hort.Veitch ex ?Gordon} are [((purpurea x psittacina) x (purpurea x flava)) x purpurea].

There is no leucophylla in x willisii, although the plant shown on eBay clearly has a strong leucophylla influence.

So, Phil traper2, upon what basis do you conclude "And yes this is a real S. Willisii"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a sucker for asking questions to people on E-bay and seeing if they can answer it. (Hey, it;s good practice for them&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] besides, it is a very attractive plant, and I might buy the next one up for auction. (no worries Sarracenia, I won't compete with a friend&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

anyhow, armed with BobZ's info, and they sellers own words, this is what I wrote:

Hi, don't want to come off rude but I have a few questions!

Sarracenia X Willissii's parentage is purpurea x psittacina) x (purpurea x flava)) x purpurea]..

You stated that the parentage of this clone is still in debate, yet the ICPS clearly describes it.

This plant by your own description shows traits of leucophylla, and I am wondering how you can be sure that you are truly selling such a desirebale and wanted cultivar?

Thanks, eagerly awaiting your reply! (Nice plants by the way. Oh, and I am an employee of **********.com (I admin their boards) but what they don't sell, I buy elsewhere to 'feed the need' so no worries about that please&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

lets see what happens! I will post the reply.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sellers reply!

Yikes I will have to adjust my description, these are leucophylla X willissii. I am sorry that I blew the description, it was a misunderstanding I had with my source for these. I just spoke with them and cleared this up, I will fix the description page, but these are s.leucophylla X willissii. We hadn't carried these before, or seen them. Again my apologies.
    [/QUOTE]
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's kind of what I was thinking. They look about identical to the leuco "red" sold here. Thanks for going through with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was instrumental in putting that plant into TC. It is a cross from leucophylla x willisii and also called "Dana's Delight." It is truly a beautiful plant.

Kim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim, you should e-mail that seller and let them know that they have a cultivar. (is that a registered name?)

9. Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast