What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Receiving a loose rooted Ceph

If I was to receive a loose roote ceph in the mail, what would I need to do to it to get in a pot with the maximum chance for it's survival. It will arrive in a bag filled with spagnum moss. Just at &#3625 each loose rooted just don't want to get it for me to stuff it up.

Dear Wado,
I would pot it up straight away using the recommended compost for Cephalotus. It should have transported OK in a bag with moss.What conditions do you intend to grow it in?

The same conditions as my VFT's. heaps of light and plenty of moisture. I used to live near Albany wear the plant comes from so I know the natural habitat.

If you are recieving them loose root by mail, wouldnt the contents of the pitchers spill out?

The contents of the pitcher would spill out even if the plants were shipped potted.

Yes, that is ok. Just fill the pitchers with a bit of distilled water. This will increase its lifespan for a while longer.

The hardest part about growing a ceph is having it adapt the your environment. They often die during this period if they are not provided with good care or the correct conditions.

Is the water there to do something, or just to fool it into living?

The pitchers tend to dry out easily without liquid inside them. Water will increase the lifespan of the pitchers longer than if the pitchers were dry.

Back