What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarrcenia oreophila

i just got an s. oreophila yesterday and its pitchers are only 6 inches . i got it for free for my birthday from a cp nursery in oregon . it is in great shape but since this is an endangered species , i don't want it to die . anybody got any tips on growing thes plant ?

Don't keep it too wet especially after the pitchers die off in mid summer. That is their natural cycle.

I treat my S. oreophylla the same as my other Sarracenia, with the exception of keeping the water table lower with it. Since it is more tollerant of droughts, I do not want to risk a water-logged S. oreophylla. Mine are kept in water about 2 inches higher than the other Sarracenia.

I grow my S. oreophilas, the same as my other Sarracenia and don't water them any less in Summer, even after pitcher production has stopped and it is only producing phyllodia (about mid-July for me).

This species does have a reputation for being more prone to Botrytus in Winter though, so be careful to keep it on the dry side and give it plenty of ventilation. I over-winter mine outside in the UK, but depending on your Winter conditions, this may not be a suitable method for your plant.

Vic

Keeping an S. oreo somewhat drier in the winter is very important. The plants can rot easily if left in standing water or kept too moist. I received a plant when it was dormant and I spent all winter worrying that it was going to die as the phyllodia started to brown. I was happy when I saw the first new pitcher form and my worries calmed. The first pitcher was deformed, probably to do the very overcast days. Since then, I have added some artificial lighting for those overcast days. Seems to be helping out.

I was worried too, when I got my S. Oreophila a couple of months ago. I can tell you, that it has been very pleased with my treatment till now.

Regards

How do you grow yours Mathias?

Cole

I just got one today! It has 2 growth points, and 2 seedlings next to it. I was very happy with it
smile.gif

Cole

Back