What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GUESS WHAT!!!...

Hey Guys...

No biggie on the lowes conversation
smile.gif
... just thought I'd let you know.

I appreciate you guys (the ones that spoke up) being on top of things and aware enough to curb the talk of 'competition' ... but it's really not a big deal.

As I discussed recently with some moderators... there are things that really dont' bother us... and discussing local places to buy, isn't really crossing any line, if anything I would imagine it's sharing a resource to acquire plants.

Our policy is pretty much in place to keep commercial vendors from coming in here and plastering our boards with sales pitches, which has happened in the past in a limited amount.

Just thought I'd let you know OUR opinion! =P

THE ADMINISTRATOR HAS SPOKEN!!
*lightning crashes and thunder rolls on*

hehe   :biggrin:

(Edited by Flint at 12
wow.gif
5 pm on May 13, 2002)

Okay, Phil has spoken and I'm not trying to contradict him, I just want to say that I think what I was saying has been missed. I never said the post had gone to far and I never said that we couldn't talk about Lowe's.

What was bugging me was: Why call Lowe's and have them order a plant, especially when you know PFT carries it and it will be of a much higher quality?

So, since I have said what I had to say and since Phil has said that this is cool by him I will apologize to anyone I might have offended. I am sorry. And now since no one wnats to hear anything else from me I'll shut up
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Pyro on 1:35 pm on May 13, 2002

What was bugging me was: Why call Lowe's and have them order a plant, especially when you know PFT carries it and it will be of a much higher quality?

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Some people just have to learn the hard way, I guess.

well...

I gotta say I saw a couple things that annoyed me in this thread.

1) Talking about other local vendors is cool, but to encourage a person to call lowes and order a plant they normally don't carry to me is just rude, Phil and Jeff could offer the same service, better I might add, and by encouraging someone to do that, you are diverting a potential revenue stream from them. It's not against their rules, but I think it's rude none the less. Just because you don't break a rule in doing something does not make it right.

Also, why is it to bad Loews can't compete with petflytrap? You have something against petflytrap?
smile.gif

Finally, while I don't condone people just rolling over and playing dead when they think they are right, I would ask that when a moderator speaks his/her feelings on a topic, that the discussion stay a discussion, and not turn argumentative. Not saying that happened here, but Phil and Jeff have entrusted their moderators with a level of responsibility, and we all tend to be over protective sometimes... regardless, respect your mods opinions, what does it possibly hurt?

Sorry, sorry, a million times( you make me feel like I've angered the gods). I probably shouldn't have sugdested Lowes, but all I'm saying is they have nice plants( in my experience); and yes, it probably would be better to order from this site. Around here( Illinois) Lowse has pretty good service, and I just mean that as a local provider, they are pretty good. Sorry again( perhaps I should order a plant from here).

heres my personal experience

no arguemt over this ka?

i diss lowes cus they only sell vft's and cobra lilys in seperate pots, sundews and butterworts are only available in the terrarium thingy, and they DONT SELL SUPER THRIVE OR NEPENTHES!!!

thats why i dis lowes and i order from petfly trap:)

but all in all lowes has good stuff like potting mixes and other stuff

Lowe's wouldn't sell Superthrive or Nepenthes anyhow because all in all they after all ARE a HOME IMPROVEMENT STORE! Not a CP nursery! :cheesy:

so why does they sell em at other places?

and same with homedepot, here they dotn sell superthrive or nepenthes, and NO CPS WHAT SO EVER

just vfts once in a WHILE

i always see peeps sayign they get neps fromn there ad stuff

Different stores in different locations carry different products along with different people supplying the different products for the different stores in the different locations. :cheesy: :biggrin:

I think that the point that is being missed is if you have someone that is going to 'order' you something that they don't have, you might as well go to a CP site ( doens't have to be PFT, just somewhere that deals in CP's ).

If you walk in the store ( Lowe's Home Depot...wherever ) and see a VFT, sundew, butter, pitcher plant, and say ' Gee I want that' Buy it!
smile.gif

But remember, ( though not always true ) larger stores like that, tend to not care for their plants like smaller, specialized growers do.

I will go to a place that sells Orchids and other tropicals before I buy from Lowes or Home Depot. ( doesn't mean everyone has to, just me
smile.gif
)

It is great that you can get a 12&#36 Phal or Oncidium, but the quality isn't always great.

I remember a time that I overheard an employee somewhere ( forgot where ) telling all the wrong info about an Orchid to a customer. I stepped in and offered some good advice that neither new ( I use to grow them in my store ).

When I go to check out the CP's, I see them dry, torn apart and dead...or walking wounded.

Why would you buy from there if you know of other outlets for them. I understand that they are sometimes cheaper than CP places, but you must get to them b4 they have been put through ####.

As Phil said and others...

This place is free for open discussion about any CP Site and for that matter Other Forum. Fearing being banned will never be an issue UNLESS:

1) you are just rude, mean, dissrespectful to people
2) you are a commercial grower that has come in here to promote your site ( without permission- b/c it is granted
smile.gif
) I even tell people where to go get stuff that we don't have.

That doesn't mean that someone can say " Hey I found a N. clipetea at http://www.exoticplantsplus.com " great guy ( Tony ) and great price.

What it means is you can't say " Hey check out my new store at blahblahblah.com "

We ask that only because we are offering a service as well.

If you are planning on doing that, we ask that you contact us, and just get an ok.
smile.gif

What I would also like to offer is a private message service that we offer. Unlike other places it isn't scanned for material. So if you want to do business or talk about something that you think isn't cool. You can uset that.

Posting things in a open forum that will only incite ill feelings falls into rule #1 : )

I am not saying that anyone has done that, I just wanted to let people be aware of things that we have setup on this site.

Hearing both sides of a topic is wonderful. It is how people should communicate. It is human nature not to agree on everything.

BUT

Remember to have some respect for the other person that you are having a conversation with.

Apologies I think aren't needed ( I could be wrong ). What I would like is a GROUP HUG! and remember why we are all here.
smile.gif

CP, friends, information, have fun, and be apart of a great community of people
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from RamPuppy on 3:27 pm on May 13, 2002
well...

I gotta say I saw a couple things that annoyed me in this thread.

1)  Talking about other local vendors is cool, but to encourage a person to call lowes and order a plant they normally don't carry to me is just rude, Phil and Jeff could offer the same service, better I might add, and by encouraging someone to do that, you are diverting a potential revenue stream from them.  It's not against their rules, but I think it's rude none the less. Just because you don't break a rule in doing something does not make it right.

Also, why is it to bad Loews can't compete with petflytrap?  You have something against petflytrap?
smile.gif

Finally, while I don't condone people just rolling over and playing dead when they think they are right, I would ask that when a moderator speaks his/her feelings on a topic, that the discussion stay a discussion, and not turn argumentative. Not saying that happened here, but Phil and Jeff have entrusted their moderators with a level of responsibility, and we all tend to be over protective sometimes... regardless, respect your mods opinions, what does it possibly hurt?
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Not to argue with you but, I'm not encouraging anyone to call and order one from Lowe's, I'm just giving everyone an updade on what I'm going to do:)

Oh and,

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>GROUP HUG:)</span>

After reading Jeff's post I have a few thing to say. I would like to apoligize for all the times i have been arragont to some people as of taking my bad day out on a fellow friend here. Shame on me.
smile.gif
I would also like to say that I apoligize to Phil and Jeff as in the long past I have let out 1-2 commercial sites on accident. So to Phil and Jeff Sorry guys. And I advise anyone else who has done a little naughtyness to apoligize as it just feels good to let it all out and let other's know that you DO care about them and thier feelings. And I also advise a group hug.
smile.gif

I think people (me included) buy from dept. stores because it's immediate gratification. No waiting... no shipping... pick it up, pay, bring it home. It is also gratifying, at least to me, to "save" an otherwise doomed plant. I have ordered many things from PFT and will continue to do so as new plants are offered but there is something inside ME that compels me to buy the lonely, sick, mistreated, tiny nep (yes, I found a nep) at Lowes or any other local store.

Loyal customer,

Dyflam

I don't think there is a one of us that has not rescues a sick and dying plant... it's in our nature we like to nurture things, we chose plants, and cp's because we think they are cool for some reason or another... no biggie there.

Flytrap Girl, I am not trying to argue with you.

I just can't understand why you would buy sarracenia purpera from lowes which will probably take several weeks to recieve, when you can buy one from phil and jeff and probably have int inside 5 days.

I cant understand why someone would order from a store that obviously has no idea how to care for them, when you could by from a specialty shop that Does nothing but grow them.

Are you seeing the logic here?

I am not arguing, just confounded. It seems like a no-brainer to me!
smile.gif

HUG!

Number one, I'd like to say that it's nice when ppl express their feelings about a situation but I think we may have gone over the top with this discussion. I think we should just leave this conversation with what we started the board with

1. No Rudeness
2. No Blatant advertising

and let it go. It is nice however to see that everyone has there own opinion about this. And BTW: Pyro you need to calm down and just take it easy. No one is trying to hurt anyones feelings here. Don't feel too bad bcs I don't believe anyone won or lost this argument (if thats what it wuz). And I'm done. Until next time... :biggrin:

My absolute, final post on this topic. I dont want to talk about it anymore. But first of all, in my area they have N.Ventricosa, N.' Judith Finn', S. Purp.( ssp. Purp. and Venosa), S. Ruba, D. Adelae, D.Spathulata, P. Primuliflora, Darlingtonia, and the common Venus Flytrap. All range from bad to very good condition. But, websites, such as this one, are still better if your looking for truly good quality. Hardware stores and local nurseries just provide a quick, sometimes decent, purchase. Second, petflytrap seems to be out of Sarracenia. Thats what the catalog says. I think we have all learned many important lessons( I don't think I have to list them) in this topic which, from what I've seen, has become one of the most hotly debated ones. So lets put this behind us( let my guilt set me free) and help our friends with their problems, like good friends should. Good night folks( have to tell my family about this one
smile.gif
).

I'm getting frusterated here. Maybe it is just that typed words have no context so what I was saying came off as rude and evil. Gafoto, I have been and still am calm an easy, if you and I had been sitting face to face this whole conversation would have been (as my mother the pre-school teacher would say) in my person to person voice. Also, and please understand that this is just how I feel, I think that it was a bit rude to tell me to "take calm down and just take it easy" right after you pointed out 'No Rudeness'

I feel like only Ram, Jeff and Phil really saw my point. Let me try this from a different approach. I am a Mod and as such it is my job to keep an eye on things. As an individual I see thing differently that anybody else so how I interpret comments and 'apply' the 'rules' is going to be different that others. So, when I saw the post of FTG's saying she was going to order from Lowe's I suggested that, since she was going to be ordering a plant anyways, she should do it from here. Now, yes there was a little editorial comment as well but I did say that it was "in my experience" and this is an open forum so I am allowed to editorialize some, the same way everyone else is. As things evolved it seems like people were taking my comments to mean that no one was allowed to mention Lowe's or Home Depot or any place like that. I never made that statement nor did I intend to imply it. However it happened the point of what I was saying was being missed and suddenly everyone thought I was coming down on them, I recognized this and that is when I went for outside help. It isn't a coincidence that both Phil and Jeff posted here yesterday, I messaged both of them to have them double check me and let me know if I was wrong. We got their answers:

Frim Phil:

"I appreciate you guys (the ones that spoke up) being on top of things and aware enough to curb the talk of 'competition' ... but it's really not a big deal."

And from Jeff:

I think that the point that is being missed is if you have someone that is going to 'order' you something that they don't have, you might as well go to a CP site ( doens't have to be PFT, just somewhere that deals in CP's ).

If you walk in the store ( Lowe's Home Depot...wherever ) and see a VFT, sundew, butter, pitcher plant, and say ' Gee I want that' Buy it!

So, they both said that the whole competition thing was moot and that it wasn't a big deal. I admitted I was wrong but I still wanted to try and get it across that I wasn't tailoring my posts as attacks against anyone. In fact I still want to make that point clear, as is evident by the fact that I am posting yet again.

Let me try it one more time:

If your are at a store and they have CPs and you want to buy one, go for it. But, if you are going to order CPs and you know PFT carries them why not just order from here? The choice is always yours I just want to throw my 2 cents in on it.

Still calm, still easy still totally relaxed

Pyro

Pyro I didn't mean to offend and I apoligize. I just didn't want ignore you, especially after ur very meek post. Ok, I'm with nathaniel on this, I'm done with attacking Pyro. Sniff, sniff. *wipes away tear* :biggrin:

Back