What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look what my mom brought me home from target!

sr02.jpg

my mom brought me this home from target today. its my first carnivorous plant. is there some care sheet around here like the VFT has?

Actually, that is a Sarracenia x 'Judith Hindle', or a type of North American Pitcher Plant. I have heard of Target calling these Darlingtonia (cobra lilies), which is unfortunate... For the caresheet, click here: PFT Sarracenia Care sheet GOOD LUCK, and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!  
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

ok thanks for clearing this up, the card that came with it didnt specify what kind of water. I'll hafta collect rain water

I bet thats the same plant that Vertigo was talking about earlier this week. That is a very nice looking Judith Hindle.
smile.gif
 I wish mine had that awesome color.

Good luck with your plant
Steve

what a beautiful plant , too bad that it was labeled cobra lily , i hate it when companies mislabel things and people get all mixed up . i should check at my local target to see if they got any that i can save but then again my target thinks that the carnivorous planst will bite your head off
mad.gif
. was there a website on the card that came with that plant .

No website, but it says it came from NurseryMen's Exchange, Inc. Half moon bay, CA

Hi al885!! That is a very nice looking judith hindle!! I have a hindle too. In fact i have a picture of mine under my name on the left side of this post. It looks different because i inverted the pic., thought it looked cooler that way. Looks like your's is in straight long fiber sphagnum. Did it come potted that way or did you do it? Either way it looks really cool like that!

-buckeye

It came in that pot. I'm glad you guys thinks its nice, i like it.

Nice plant, I also have a judith hindle. It is a great plant and fairly easy and rewarding to grow
smile.gif

give the plant a good amount of light to keep it nice and colorful . nurserymen's exchnge ehhh , i heard of that company , sells all sorts of planst including cps , i otta contact that company and ask about those pitchers plants in a vase , the medium looks more like green moss and pebbles too me but i don't now , i guess if if the plant looks that great it musy be lfs .. good luck grwoig it , how big was the plant .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (vft guy in SJ @ Sep. 28 2003,2:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I bet thats the same plant that Vertigo was talking about earlier this week. That is a very nice looking Judith Hindle.
smile.gif
 I wish mine had that awesome color.

Good luck with your plant
Steve[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I'm glad I gave it to you...I lost the rest of them in a fungal infection..
So that's the plant vertigo was talking about
tounge.gif

Very nice plant...welcome to the addiction
smile.gif

Im going to put it in a fridge for dormancy this winter. when it comes out of dormancy i want to use artificial light along side growing VFTs. Is florescent lights good enough? i heard it is as long as they are close

I went to target today and found a whole bunch of S. x 'Wrigleyanas' in very healthy condition. I had to buy one.

It is in the same set up as that one, and it is from the same supplier, NurseryMen's Exchange, Inc. Half moon bay, CA. I think I am going to have to repot it in a draining pot heres a pic.

sarracenia%20x%20'minor'%20004.jpg

That is an awesome vase setup. I need to do it sometime.
smile.gif

I dont know what i should do with this glass vase setup, there is no drain hole so i dont want to get root rot.

Yup, that's the exact one I was talking about. Told you guys it was a nice plant.

The glass vase would be fine, actually you don't really need to worry about that this time of year, especially since it'll be most likely going dormant soon.
tounge.gif
If you're worried about it rotting in the glass, just water it a little less.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (al885 @ Sep. 30 2003,12:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont know what i should do with this glass vase setup, there is no drain hole so i dont want to get root rot.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Ok heres a silly question.. If there is no hole in the vase... why is it sitting in a tray of water? lol

Steve

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (vft guy in SJ @ Sep. 30 2003,9:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
wow.gif
9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (al885 @ Sep. 30 2003,12
wow.gif
9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont know what i should do with this glass vase setup, there is no drain hole so i dont want to get root rot.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Ok heres a silly question..  If there is no hole in the vase... why is it sitting in a tray of water?  lol

Steve[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I thought i read that increases humidity around the plant?
mad.gif

Well the vase looks fairly tall. Any humidity that will be achieved from the tray will be long dissipated before it has a chance to reach the pant. Water trays are used to actually water the plant. Some plants in very short pots may recieve a slight increase in humidity from the tray, but in general, the humidity from the trays is negligable.

Steve

Back