What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. oreophila

Apparently seeds aren't even allowed to change location legally. Appendix 1 permits aren't real easy to get either. I attempted earlier this season and was told to withdraw the application. They need exact location of the original seed and time it was gotten pretty much. I will keep attempting, oreophila is prolific here about the same as rubras.

Ok, thanks.
sad.gif

Wes

Hey Folks,

If you have any questions about what is legal and what is not legal about the species listed as "Endangered" on the Endangered Species Act (for us, the plants of interest are Sarracenia oreophila, S. jonesii (=S. rubra subsp. jonesii), and S. alabamensis (=S. rubra subsp. alabamensis), send me an email at barry@carnivorousplants.org I'll be happy to field questions. But essentially, you've all got it right. i.e.

1)Without a permit, you cannot sell plants across a state line.

2)Without a permit, you cannot trade plants across a state line.

3)Without a permit, you MAY sell plants within a state.

4)Without a permit, you MAY give plants as gifts across a state line.

5)Shipping from the US to another country involves crossing a state line as the plants leave the USA, so the restrictions above apply.

6)The above restrictions apply to plants, seeds, cuttings,
and I believe even pollen (but I'm not sure on this last point).

7)Shipping from one non-USA country to another non-USA country is outside the jurisdiction of the US Fish and Wildlife Service, so none of the above restrictions apply.

8)Shipping from one country to another country DOES fall under the jurisdiction of CITES, which requires other permits.

As for requesting postage money, I have heard from one official that this is ok. I've heard from another that it is not ok. So I play it safe and don't ask for postage money.

And, as wisely pointed out on the list, it is best not to discuss publicly ways that one could circumvent the law. Clearly such comments are not illegal, but if you ever found yourself being prosecuted by the authorities, such flippant comments might be introduced against you and they would not look good.

FINALLY, I strongly, STRONGLY encourage anyone who grows endangered species to retain ALL paperwork that came with their plants. This includes receipts from the ICPS, or letters that came with the plants, or if nothing else, the panel on the box that your plants came in. If you are questioned about the origin of your plants, you can wave this information at the authorities and they are likely to retreat like vampires from garlic.
smile.gif

Cheers

Barry

ICPS Director of Conservation Programs

Back