What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHERE, WHERE, OH WHERE

Where can I find big pitcher plants? I want some that are large. This is because I am making a bog garden, and I need large Pitcher plants. I hope to plant sundews and pitcher plants, since they are native to the New Hampshire and around there. I think that if I grow these, they would do good because they will have a natural dormancy every winter because it snows alot in the winter, but has hot and humid summers. I am going to keep them out all year, alowing them to catch insects on thier own. So, anyway, can you help me find a place to buy big pitchers(or ones with a pitcher at least 3 inches tall)? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ummm,
Kevin
wink.gif

sorry, cant help, but I consider plants over 3 feet tall to be big!!

Hi,
 You could try the following species in your bog garden;

S. purpurea ssp. purpurea (native to your State)

S.flava in all its varieties, but cover them to take the harshness from winter in the late fall with mulch.

Plus any tall Sarracenia you like, maybe even Darlingtonia, though I do not live in your country, I think you may success with this one where you live.

You can get these plants from here (petflytrap)

Provided your bog is sheltered from cold dry desicating winds, and your bog is about 12" deep so the plants' roots can reach unfrozen water, you should succeed!

He said 3 inches, not 3 feet. All species are able to achieve at least 3" pitchers. (Unless there are some miniature ones i've never heard about?)

Sarracenia do not need snow to go dormant. Most species are found in southeastern states. I heard that that pitcher plants which produce larger traps in late summer/early fall (S. leucophylla, rubra, alata) do not grow so well in northern states because the season isn't long enough for them to produce the big traps. I know of someone taking the plants indoors to start the season off early. But you can't do this since you want a bog. But maybe you wont have this problem since your plants will be planted in the ground and have more protection from cold.
wink.gif

BTW, I hope you have a reverse osmosis unit. Bogs would take up A LOT more water.

Here is a photo of the United States which shows the areas where Sarracenia and Darlingtonia are found. (red has biggest density, blue has least)

mapsa01.gif

I think S. purpurea ssp purpurea will do well where you are, they need longer dormancy than the rest and are native there.

The only sarracenia available in the plants sale page is S. pupurea. But you can get the upcoming taller growing ones at a discounted price if you go to this link! CLICK HERE!

The only place I've gotten large plants from is Botanique but I'm sur PFT will have a great selection soon.
tounge.gif

Seems strange how there is only one 'colony' of CPs miles away from the rest. Am I right in thinking Darlingtonia grows in the west?

Yep, Cobras are specifically in Northern California, Oregon, and some parts of Southern Washington.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Statik2426 @ June 11 2002,5:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">He said 3 inches, not 3 feet. All species are able to achieve at least 3" pitchers. (Unless there are some miniature ones i've never heard about?)
Sarracenia do not need snow to go dormant. Most species are found in southeastern states. I heard that that pitcher plants which produce larger traps in late summer/early fall (S. leucophylla, rubra, alata) do not grow so well in northern states because the season isn't long enough for them to produce the big traps. I know of someone taking the plants indoors to start the season off early. But you can't do this since you want a bog. But maybe you wont have this problem since your plants will be planted in the ground and have more protection from cold.
wink.gif

BTW, I hope you have a reverse osmosis unit. Bogs would take up A LOT more water.
Here is a photo of the United States which shows the areas where Sarracenia and Darlingtonia are found. (red has biggest density, blue has least)
mapsa01.gif

I think S. purpurea ssp purpurea will do well where you are, they need longer dormancy than the rest and are native there.
The only sarracenia available in the plants sale page is S. pupurea. But you can get the upcoming taller growing ones at a discounted price if you go to this link! CLICK HERE![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I know what he said, I was saying that I dont consider 3 inches big!

Back