What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia oreophila

ludwig777

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
Is anyone growing this plant? I thought mine had died last year but now it's sending up 3 huge traps. I understand this plant is endangered. Is that true?

Yes, it is extremely endangered. Where did you aquire it?

they are speld Sarracenia oreophila, they are under CITES appendix 1, but very common in culture in Europe, why it is to difficult for you guys in US to get one?

I have heard about it, but haven't been to a place that carries it.

They are on the endangered species list and are protected by state laws. We are able to get them, we just have to get the right permits. It is very obvious that a plant purchased in Europe is not field collected from the United States. Well, I guess someone could do that if really wanted to.

I do believe the ICPS seed bank has been authorised to distribute S. oreophila to members in the U.S.A..

I am waiting for my first pitchers of the season.

Thanks for the replys. Knowing that, I will make every effort to propagate mine so more of you can have one. I have never divided a Sarracenia (you may know Nepenthes have been my main focus) so in this case I may ask for an expert to do it for me.

The ESA (Endangered Species Act) makes it illegal to sell endangered plants. It also makes it illegal to move them across state lines in any way shape or form, and a variety of other things. It is possible to get permits for such activities but the process and paperwork to do so is very complex.

below is the section from the ESA that pertains to listed plants:
Section 9 prohibited acts:
(2) Except as provided in sections 6(g)(2) and 10 of this Act, with respect to any endangered species of plants listed pursuant to section 4 of this Act, it is unlawful for any person subject to the jurisdiction of the United States to-
(A) import any such species into, or export any such species from, the United States;
(B) remove and reduce to possession any such species from areas under Federal jurisdiction; maliciously damage or destroy any such species on any such area; or remove, cut, dig up, or damage or destroy any such species on any other area in knowing violation of any law or regulation of any state or in the course of any violation of a state criminal trespass law;
© deliver, receive, carry, transport, or ship in interstate or foreign commerce, by any means whatsoever and in the course of a commercial activity, any such species;
(D) sell or offer for sale in interstate or foreign commerce any such species; or
(E) violate any regulation pertaining to such species or to any threatened species of plants listed pursuant to section 4 of this Act and promulgated by the Secretary pursuant to authority provided by this Act.

S. oreophila is a beauty! Mine has 4 or 5 growing points and is doing very well, it is a very strong spring performing Sarracenia. Mine was hand given to me as a gift...as was my S. alabamensis. Well....I flew back home with it...is that counted as crossing state lines?
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Regarding that ESA act, I wonder how the highway department is allowed to drive over, drudge up or otherwise destroy 10s of thousands of wild orchids and pitcher plants in Northern Minnesota while MIN D.O.T. expands the highway system.
I'm quite sure habitat destruction further endangers the plants. it makes absolutely no sense at all to preserve a species and then allow continued destruction of the species' habitat...

I was under the impresion that S. oreophila could be given to someone as a gift.  You can not sell or trade for it but you can give or receive it as a gift.  Or am I confusing it with another Sarracenia?

I believe you can send this plant as a gift in the U.S. If not, it would be very difficult to spread these plants in cultivation.

Ah that's why I could fly home with it.
wink.gif
I will be spreading the joy too when mine gets larger. I can;t wait to see the pitchers on this guy...

I believe it's O.K. to sell cultivated plants in state. I have been to several nurseries here in Oregon that sells tissue cultured plants of S. oreophilia, S. rubra alabamensis, and S.r. jonesii. And I'm not sure these laws apply to any tissue cultured plants at all, but I could be wrong on that. It might be easier here on the west coast to sell these plants since they are not native.

Jack,

The laws do apply, when TC'd plants of the endangered Sarr are sold there is also some paperwork involved (from what I have been told.)

Apologies if this goes a little off topic, but I have to agree with Swords. some of these restrictions do little more than romanticize and popularize the plants, at the same time interfering with their legitimate dispersal. I could get 50 S. oreophila rhizomes tomorrow to redistribute, from nursery grown stock (the grower has no more room for them, he cannot sell enough of them, and he cannot give them away since he is a commercial dealer, who would believe they were for free?) So, I am prohibited by law and discouraged by the paperwork. Sure, I could cheat and do it anyways, which is just my point. Many do. I feel C.I.T.E.S. legislation does as much harm as it does good. It certainly does little to curtail field collection.

Regarding legal issues of possessing these plants, it has been suggested by Dr. Barry Meyers that accurate records be kept of the source of your plants, preferably with a legal bill of sale appended to the record. This also applies to the white flowered form of P. ionatha, also cites protected. Sheesh. I am sure there is a veritable army of plant cops out there with snooperscopes methodically looking into everyones collections, and they have dossiers on us all.....

Meanwhile, shipments are being seized of tens of thousands of mature wild harvested VFT bulbs! It sure sounds like something isn't working here, or am I missing something?

You can't dig them up, but it's fine to plow them under. These plants had no business evolving on future golf courses.

By the way, if you do want to ship a S. oreophila, simply do so with a label marked "un-named Sarracenia Hybrid", but kindly do not disturb any native populations. In fact, don't even seek them out to look at them. Footprints alter drainage patterns. Stay away and let them live or die now in peace, in the sliver of reality that is left to them.

Sorry, there I go again.

Sure, Always wanted an "un-named Sarracenia Hybrid"
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Back