What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purpurea flowering

Hello all, My purp is flowering and tomorrow it will probably be fully open. It is beautiful, but I was wondering. If I want to get some seeds how exactly I should go about doing this?

There is only one flower though, I am thinking maybe there has to be two flowers, but I'm not exactly sure how it all works. Where will the seeds be if I do it right? If some one could tell me all the details on this, that would be fantastic. Then I'll finally have something that I can trade, I have never done any trading on this site, but I would really like to, all the people here are so great
smile.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif

This is awfully late for it to bloom. I recommend you enjoy the bloom and then cut it off when it's finished so the plant can prepare for its winter dormancy. It's probably too late for seeds.

True, it probably won't set seed this late in the season.
In the spring though you need two flowers really (you can self pollinate one flower, but the resulting plants will be weak because of what is in effect in-breeding). Take the pollen from one flower, which falls into the umbrella and place it on the five hook like stigmas which are on the outer parts are the umbrella style of the other flower.

WOW, flowering this late?! Do you have it growing indoors or out?

Hi,

I grow all my Sarracenias outside. This year all(&#33
wink.gif
my S. purpurea ssp purpurea started to flower in August, while all my other plants flowered in early spring. In my experience, Sarracenia occasionaly flower this late. As already said, i would cut of the flowers as soon as the patals are fallen. It will soon be autumn/winter and the plant needs all it energy for dormancy.

Christian

I have also a small bog outside with Sarracenia purpurea, all flowered in early spring. One flowered this month. It may be possible that as for the temperate Pinguicula, the hot temperature induces a rest period for the Sarracenia purpurea and with the coolest temperatures, a sign for a new growing period with flowers...

I have my purpurea growing indoors on a very sunny windowsill.  It also flowered early, in the spring but I cut the flower off before it got a chance to even open.  I thought that this might have played a role in it flowering again now?  Maybe not though?

This flower seems to be kind of weird too, the petals have not yet opened. The whole outer part of the flower is open, but the petals remain curled in still.

So, I should not try and get seeds from this flowering?  I really want to try.

If you really want seeds, I'd wait for the spring flowers to come. Letting this flower go to seed could zap it. Like the others said, enjoy it, and clip it off when the petals fall.

Back