What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slowing Evaporation

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
I was looking at my 3 new pots of sarras while I was watering them and pondering...... We are having yet another heat wave (95ºF to 103ºF) so I am having to do a LOT of watering. I was wondering if it would hurt my sarras any to cover the surface of the soil with mulch? It would be very acidic (shredded hardwood) and would keep the roots cool. But I have never heard of anyone mulching CPs. I'm just trying to think of ways to make the water last longer as I am going broke buying distilled water.

Anyone think a little surface mulch wouldn't hurt?

Thanks!
Suzanne

I don't see how it could hurt, especially if it was acidic. I bet pine needles would work good too, if you can find any. I'm experiencing the same heat. Have been having to water every other day for what seems like ever. No rains are forecasted for at least another week either. Fortunately I can get my distilled water for free from the university I work at.
Another thing I noticed, I have a few pots that have the surface covered by the algal-slime people always complain about. I've found it keeps the soil wetter by slowing down evaporation. Doesn't seem to harm the plants either. Wish I could find a way to mass propogate it for all my pots. It only seem to like a few of them.

Rain... 10 days straight, pretty much all day in central Florida. I'm not complaining but...

Hi Suzanne,
Maybe you could send some of your weather our way into the UK!

The problem is transpiration through the leaves, not evaporation so maybe with this hot spell you are having, placing the plants in the shade during the hottest part of the day would help.

What I do is wrap plastic bags around the bottom of the pots...

Back