What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food coloring

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
if i put food coloring into my sarrs water, would it turn them the color of the coloring? kind of like what people do to carnations? it would be awesome, for sure.

That's a very interesting question. If it didn't hurt them...I wonder what would happen. They inject all sorts of fish with colors...they just fade after a little while though.

Use neon blue!!! LOL
tounge.gif

Anyhowees, keep us posted on what happens!

I tried this before with some small sarrs and it worked. But be sure not to use red or blue because those pigments will absorb the light needed for the growth of the plant. Oh and use A LOT! You have to completely saturate the medium with the coloring. Then add some more coloring each time you water. I would expect this to work even better with species like Leucophylla, Psittacina, Minor or even D. Californica.
smile.gif
Good Luck!

Mike
smile.gif

EDIT: I'm sure Neon Blue couldn't hurt.

ohhh really? no problems? now i'm wondering if i can do it with anything...

i used it on a wrigleyana in a 4 inch pot. its in my 75 gallon terr and heated to a constant 86 degrees. its under 2 grow lamps and 2 full spectrum lamps powered by a VHO ballast. that means that the bulbs are almost THREE times as powerful than if it were run on a regular ballast. but this decreases the luife dramatically. its on a 16 hour photoperiod. its planted in peat/vermiculite 50/50. There are the specs!!

oh yeah, its too bad that i cant use red or blue. since those are the only interesting colors i can find (cant use purple or orange since those contian red and blue pigments) SOOO i used yellow!! i used a whole bottle of it. i'm leaving for 2 weeks so i'll see what its like when i come back!!

one question.. my new wrigleyana leaves are pointing STRAIGHT up. should they do this since they are supposed to lay flat? they are immature and havn't even developed any color or opened yet.

A friend of mine in the society tried this with VFTs. Didn't work for him, but perhaps he didn't use enough coloring. Would be pretty cool if the blue could be used on a VFT!

After 2 months, the VFT food coloring experiment plant still doesn't look any different. It sits in a small japanese soup bowl with about 1/2 to 1 inch of very blue water in it. I add 2 - 4 drops of blue food coloring when I replenish the water.

Maybe I should drizzle the flies in food coloring and try that way!!

Wild Bill

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JustLikeAPill @ May 31 2003,5:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">one question.. my new wrigleyana leaves are pointing STRAIGHT up. should they do this since they are supposed to lay flat? they are immature and havn't even developed any color or opened yet.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Well, take a look at the wrigleyana in the pic at this link:

http://www.petflytrap.com/cataloghtml/wrigleyana.html

Oooooooooooooooooh good question!
wink.gif
Please try it and tell us what happens! *ponders about it for a while and then presses 'Add Reply'*

Ok, I just fed a big fly and a giant drop of blue food coloring to my test VFT. I'll keep you guys posted....

Wild Bill

its been 2 weeks, and it looks no different.

Back