What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor

this is my first heliamphora and i got it for a very good price at the same place i got the s. oreophila .the last thing i want to do is kill it so anybody got care tips .it is a 1 inch plant , very red in coloring , i jsut figured out that the palnt is verybrittle so i am being careful not to break any pitchers . i planted it in a 3 inch pot with a water tray . i gave it lfs , peat , soem charcoal , perltie , some pumice , and some orchid bark .hope thats ok . it gets good air circulation and 80 % humidity , the temps are70-80 in the day , sometime i bit more and 60 - 70 at night . its in shade at the moment .

You can treat this hybrid as an intermediate plant, ie. grown in an intermediate nepenthes set-up.

I wish i could tell you... i got one in January, and it's gotten progressively smaller since then
sad.gif
There are more pitchers now, but they're all tiny. It doesn't seem to like any of the conditions i've had it in so far.

Am i right in assuming these things need as much light as possible? I heard that and have it just a few inches from my lights, but it doesn't seem to like it very much.

confused.gif

I have a H. heterodoxa x nutans. The plant is slow growing. When I first got it the cover I had on it fell of while at work and I thought it had died. I kept it under the lights and watered it as needed. It came back a few weeks later.

I currently grow mine in my basement. The temps are between 60-65°F and sometimes a bit warmer. The plant is 5 inches from the bottom of my grow lights. It sits under 2 - 40 watt flourescent bulbs ( mix of cool and growlux ). It seems to be doing well.

Humidity must be high. I mist mine from time to time, but it is under a cover that keeps the humidity very high. I am using the tray method with mine. Only adding more water when the saucer dries out. I do not llet the compost dry out as this will kill the plant.

Hope this helps.

Below you will find a pict of the biggest pitcher at 2 inches +/-.

H_heteroXNutansPitcher.jpg

Thanks Nick. I imagine mine gets too hot during the day. I haven't a basement, unfortunately. I hope to set up a highland tank after moving to a new apartment.

You can probably grow heliamphora at a somewhat higher temperature if you water the plant daily or possibly two times a day with cool water. Similar to Darlingtionia californica waterings buy sprinkling the plants overhead to cool them and allowing the water to run through the pot to cool the roots.

Back