What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it a bad fungus?

Hello,

Sometimes I notice a white substance (it looks kinda like grainy, powdered sugar) on the leaves of my cephalotus. I would like to know if this is a harmful fungus, (if it's a fungus a all?) or if it's the beneficial fungus that some of you in the forum have talked about. The substance is not fuzzy and I don't keep my cephalotus in a very humid, dim environment, so it's unlike any fungus I've seem before. It also does not seem to be hurting my plants. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Sorry I don't have any pics but "grainy" powdered sugar is a good description of the stuff on my plants. Thank you for your the information, L.A. Traphole

i've heard of that happeneing to ceph's ,
mine is still verry young and does'nt have that yet! ... i'm sure it will get it though , because in the cpukforum.com people have asked and everyone just wipes it off the leaves .

from what i've read it does'nt seem to harm the plants.
if and when mine gets that i'd wipe it off just to keep it from overgrowing and keeping the leaves from breathing/photosinthasizing and becomeing a problem .

How is yours growing ? mine is doing verry good!!! it's got three new buds pokeing out of the stem!!!!!
it seems to make three photo leaves then one pitcher, well i've only had it about 2 weeks so that's how much it's grown !!! hehe it's so cute!!!!!!!!!

Hey thanx for the information, I guess I'll just wipe that stuff off too. I have two pots of multiple crowned cephs, there are at least 6 plants in each. They were quite an expense but I'm soooooo happy with them. I've had mine since the middle on July, they were kinda a birthday present to myself. Currently I have two rather large pitchers and about 15 smaller pitchers between the two pots. I plan on separating (someday) all the cephs (maybe even giving some away) so I can have a better veiw of each individual plant.

Thanks again for the help!

if you want to be on the safe side i was just reading that post again to be sure ,
they said it was a form of powdery mildew .
one person
n used a sulfer based fungicide another used scots

here is what one person said . hope he does'nt get mad i used his name.

It's a powdery mildew, a fungus. Cephalotus are quite prone to it, though I don't know if it can be fatal, it certainly knocks their growth back a bit. Some growers have reported reasonable control with sulphur. I cleared mine up last year with Scotts 'Fungus Clear' which comes ready mixed in a gun (active ingredient = Penconazole, a fungicide specific against powdery mildew), it had no obvious toxic effects on the Cephs and the mildew hasn't come back. I seem to remember some other Forum members have also reported good results with this product on Cephs as well.

Vic

Back