Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia leucophylla

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or in northern lattitudes.

I have grown S. leucophylla for more than 15 years outside in the NY metropolitan area. However, pitcher production for this species has never been optimum, and I have never obtained the crop of beautiful fall pitchers in the late summer/early fall. This is the only species with which I have difficulty. All others flourish, and sometimes suffer from indigestion...

At first, I thought that it had something to do with the cold temperatures in the winter (until I saw the plants outside at the NY Botanical Garden), and then I thought that it might have something to do with the medium that I have grown this species in (mine grow in 100% peat, but at the NY Bot. Garden they grew it in mostly sand).

I am interested in hearing from any long term S. leucophylla growers out there that grow their plants outside, particularly those that grow it in the northern latitudes all year long. What are your experiences? What media do you use, what do you do with them in the winter, how is pitcher production?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

utricman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leucophylla apparently likes it wet, so your sandy medium may not be as good as 100% peat, or peat and perlite. Also, leucophylla comes from a long way south and appreciates hot summers and cool winters.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Alvin Meister @ Sep. 03 2003,7:53)
    Leucophylla apparently likes it wet, so your sandy medium may not be as good as 100% peat, or peat and perlite. Also, leucophylla comes from a long way south and appreciates hot summers and cool winters.[/QUOTE]
    I keep all my plants in 100% peat and rather wet. So, I don't think this is the issue. Summers are hot, but the winters are cold (with a good amount of time below freezing).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this is my first summer with leucos, so I don't know what kind of autumn pitchers I'll get, but they're very productive so far. I have them in a highly LFS based medium, with some pete and perlite. My major issue is getting enough sunlight, but even so, they're producing some really nice pitchers.
    How do you prep yours for dormancy outside? I live in the same (roughly) area as you do (hour north of NYC), so I'm interested in your approach.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is LFS?

In terms of dormancy, I let nature dictate the terms. Plants should stop producing pitchers in the next month or so, and will most liklely last until the first frost.

Historically, I have cut all the pitchers off in December and covered the the growing area with shade cloth to keep the peat evenly frozen (which also prevents plants from being pushed out of the soil). I have lost a couple of S. psittacina's in the past in that manner. Growth usually resumes in April/May.

This past winter I kept the plants in pots in the garage (in a frozen solid state) and they survived without a problem.

It's just that I am noticing a trend that seems to be unique to my conditions and I am trying to figure out why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lfs is either local fish store or long fibered sphagnum (I`d say were talking about the later&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img].
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a long time grower, but I'm heading into my third fall with my big S. leucophylla. And its fall pitchers are stunning, approaching 30" tall. I'd say they run 25% taller than spring pitchers, but more importantly, they're at least twice as wide or wider. Plus the white-red-green contrast seems much stronger.

The plant has been way off this year, probably due to being repotted and us having such a cool, sunless spring & summer. It only grew phyllodia (I forget the spelling) this spring, but is starting a new crop of what I hope are fall pitchers, not more phyllodia. I grow all my Sarracenias in LFS or LFS + lava rock.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You spelt phyllodia corectly. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

9. Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast