User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: my first pitcher plant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was looking around at Home Depot and found an entire table of carnivorous plants... all which were not doing too great.

I already had 2 vft's (plus the one's they had there were all turning brown and moldy) so I looked at the "Cobra Plants" as they was labelled. They were all Sarracenia's and Nepenthes. Again they were not in the greatest of shapes but I managed to find one Sarra and Nep in fair shape.

My question? The Sarra that I picked up had one dying pitcher which was brown/black with a white chalky substance (I'm assuming it's mold). I cut away the dead pitcher but left behind in the live peat moss and on a neighboring pitcher was some of the decay matter. The entire plant seems to be doing really well, but should I take extra precaution and treat with fungucide?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    DOH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that is really neat [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I work at the home depot, and we have no Cp's at my store at all. I have been pushing the person in garden that orders all the plants to order some VFT's or any type of CP, hopefully it works soon [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

On to your question about the fungicide. I don't think you should have to use any fungicide on the plant, I would just slowly adjust it to a change in humidity and lighting, with enough light and distilled, R/O, or rain water the plant should be fine, that is just what I would do.
    I miss my old signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dfalkanger... thanks for the advice. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Regarding Home Depot... I was shocked also to see them there because I went a week or two before and didn't see any. I suspect that there's a Canadian company making the rounds selling CP's to commercial retailers around here in Toronto. I keep seeing the same vft's in various stores. Well at least now I know they also sell Sarracenia's too...
    DOH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it would be worth using a fungicide and insecticide - your plant has been neglected and who knows how long it's been there! I would also rinse it through with distilled water, it's probably been watered (if at all) with tap water.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fungicide 3 by Schultz worked for me on simular situation... but that was a nep.
    andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com